• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding Experts... Advice wanted...TIG or MIG... New Rock Krawler 3-link

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I just bolted on my long arm brackets from Rock Krawler's new version of their 3-link...

Should I TIG them or MIG them? My cousin has both at his shop but I wanted to see if anyone could persuade me one way or the other...

I'll post some pics of the install and afters as the lift goes on. Its going to be pretty slow b/c we're regearing at the same time.

Thanks,
Chris

I've got both in my shop also...but being I fab chemical tanks and piping to ASME code for a living.....I like to TIG on something that I truly want to see the penetration. I must be very clean though the MIG is fast but I seem to just be most picky on real critical stuff.

mig it, and be done w/ it

when i do the RK kits i just burn the out side, and like an inch at each end of the inside, never had one come back

If you want it done the best (and you're good at it) then TIG it. TIG in the right hands is the best for everything. Unless you want it done fast or easy :)

can you post pics of your install? i am installing mine soon and would like some for all the mounting and stuff... thanks

Tig will give you the best penetration. Mig is quick and simple. I think Tig leaves a better looking weld also. At work I try to Tig everything I build. But I do not have a Tig welder at home. I will soon though.

Thanks everyone.. We ended up using the Millermatic 210 to MIG the brackets on. We dicided that since it was a little cold we didnt want to mess with the TIG. Also after looking at it further it was going to be a hassle to TIG it laying on your back and all..

IT looks plenty strong and we decided to do stitch welds 1.25-inch long and left approx. 1/2-inch space between them.

Chris

I"ll get some pictures of the install up soon.. Its a little different b/c we're re-gearing at the same time.

Well my welding shop teacher once said "Mig is quick and effective, but you can do a good looking weld or a crappy lookin welds and still have no penetration, a tig can look like crap but its going to have penetration (assuming you have some basic welding skills.)"

Given the choice, tig it.

Unfortunately, any type of weld can LOOK good and still be crap. Proper fit-up has as much to do with strenght as the technique.

Back