• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 3.54 gear ratio

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has come up in the past and I searched, can't find the answer.
A 1987 XJ with a Dana 44 rear and a 3.54 ratio, has 13 and 46 teeth on the ring and pinion. A Dana 30 in the front of the same vehicle, marked 3.54, how many teeth?
I know that they were 3.54 and not 3.55 because I saw a I.S. dated April 1987 that has to do with a front to rear mismatch between the two ratios and how to fix it.

CanMan said:
It would have the same amount of teeth on the R&P as the rear, 13 pinion, 46 ring.

I am going to install a 3.54 rear.
I also need to replace my D30 ring and pinion due to noise.
Is it possible to replace my 3.55 front gears with 3.54?
The local 4X4 man couln't find a 13 and 46 tooth count.

falcon556 said:
I am going to install a 3.54 rear.
I also need to replace my D30 ring and pinion due to noise.
Is it possible to replace my 3.55 front gears with 3.54?
The local 4X4 man couln't find a 13 and 46 tooth count.

You can use the 3.55 front gears, as I believe that is what the D30 came with when used with the XJ D44 rear.

As long as the front and rear gear ratios are within 2% of eachother, you'll be fine to run them.

CanMan said:
You can use the 3.55 front gears, as I believe that is what the D30 came with when used with the XJ D44 rear.

As long as the front and rear gear ratios are within 2% of eachother, you'll be fine to run them.

This is what I thought too.
The following is from the service bulletin.

"Certain 1987 Wagoneer models were equiped with a model 35C rear axle that has a 3.55 ratio instead of the required model 44 that has the 3.54 ratio.
This causes a mismatch in front and rear axle ratios and may make transfer case shifting difficult"

According to this the front was a 3.54.

falcon556 said:
This is what I thought too.
The following is from the service bulletin.

"Certain 1987 Wagoneer models were equiped with a model 35C rear axle that has a 3.55 ratio instead of the required model 44 that has the 3.54 ratio.
This causes a mismatch in front and rear axle ratios and may make transfer case shifting difficult"

According to this the front was a 3.54.

Yes, mismatch axles. The rear D44 with 3.54 gears, and the front D30 with 3.55 gears. I don't see how according to the TB, that the front was 3.54?

CanMan said:
Yes, mismatch axles. The rear D44 with 3.54 gears, and the front D30 with 3.55 gears. I don't see how according to the TB, that the front was 3.54?

I think that the only way to know for sure is for a forum member that had a 1987 XJ with a rear D44 and actually counted the teeth of his D30 to tell us.

falcon556 said:
I think that the only way to know for sure is for a forum member that had a 1987 XJ with a rear D44 and actually counted the teeth of his D30 to tell us.

A member just PMed me with the information I was looking for.
His 1987 XJ has a D44 rear and a HP D30 front.
Both front and rear have the same tooth count 13/46, both are 3.54.
Did a little searching. I found how to compare the ratios %wise.
It turns that the difference between a 3.55 and 3.54 is two tenths of one percent. Well within tolerence.
OTOH sometime next year I was planning to replace my front ring and pinion due to noise.
Will a 3.54 (13/46) set fit my differential?
I looked at some online shops, they are selling the 3.55 sets only. I guess I'll keep looking.

Much ado about NOTHING.

3.54 / 3.55 front/rear (or vice-versa) is not a gearing concern.

Likewise:

4.10 / 4.11 front/rear (or vice-versa) is not a gearing concern.

Likewise:

4.55 / 4.56 front/rear (or vice-versa) is not a gearing concern.

etc...etc...etc...

Buy the gears that are in that close ratio, that fit the axle in question, and don't spend so many braincells on it. :gee:

falcon556 said:
A member just PMed me with the information I was looking for.
His 1987 XJ has a D44 rear and a HP D30 front.
Both front and rear have the same tooth count 13/46, both are 3.54.
Did a little searching. I found how to compare the ratios %wise.
It turns that the difference between a 3.55 and 3.54 is two tenths of one percent. Well within tolerence.
OTOH sometime next year I was planning to replace my front ring and pinion due to noise.
Will a 3.54 (13/46) set fit my differential?
I looked at some online shops, they are selling the 3.55 sets only. I guess I'll keep looking.

Give Randys ring and pinion a call, or browse their website. www.ring-pinion.com

Back