• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Protecting?sealing ACOS aluminum

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and have not found anthing on the exact subject. I was wondering if any of you guys with ACOS have used a clearcoat paint or sealant to protect the aluminum spacer and ring? I use my jeep offroad about 25% of the time and as a DD everyday. I want to try and keep the harsh salt here in Michigan from corroding and piting the aluminum. I was thinking of using POR-15's Glisten PC but I am skeptical of it not peeling or yellowing and it is pretty expensive. ($31/pt)

thanks

There's no need to coat them with anything other than the odd soaking in WD or PB to clean 'em. You'll just make it harder to adjust later by coating the threads. The winter and wheeling don't hurt them in the least. When i'm going to adjust them i spray some PB Blaster on them and all the crap disappears and they turn no problem. -B

What about using something like CorrosionX?

I also have a set and they appear to be anodized, which should ward off corrosion for a while.
Just my .02 worth.
Tony

I would not paint them but if you really want to then I think you have to use self etching primer, and then you can paint with whatever suits your needs. I was told that the self etching primer is key when dealing with alumimimiminun. Thats what I was told at least. JOE>

thanks for the answers guys....I did think about the possible problem with the threads wearing off whatever coating applied when adjusting but I would most likely adjust them once and not lengthen them again. If I did it would be a long time into the future if I decided to go higher which is a longshot. Never heard of CorrosionX....what is it? I was leaning toward clear powdercoating which I can get done for $30 for the pair......

any other suggestions?

thanks

well aluminum oxidizes not so much corroding. I dont think you have anything to worry about in the least. Look at aluminum boats, aluminum ladders etc. They sit out side all the time (i am in detroit michigan hello fellow michigander) i think the most you are gonna see is some slight oxidation which looks like a powdery dust on the surface. The oxidation shouldnt effect performance in the least bit, i think you will be able to adjust with no problem in 3 years, 5 years or more.

motorcityxj said:
well aluminum oxidizes not so much corroding.

Oxidation is corrosion.

I work with aluminum every day - I've seen what a little salty water can do to it.

For a big peice like the ACOS, it'll take a long time to be a problem. Although, nasty things like intergranular corrosion can onset if it's not sealed and they used cheaper aluminum. If they aren't anodized, I'd use alumiprep or a similar chemical anodizer on it - then paint it with regular spray paint.

2001XJ said:
I did a search and have not found anthing on the exact subject. I was wondering if any of you guys with ACOS have used a clearcoat paint or sealant to protect the aluminum spacer and ring? I use my jeep offroad about 25% of the time and as a DD everyday. I want to try and keep the harsh salt here in Michigan from corroding and piting the aluminum. I was thinking of using POR-15's Glisten PC but I am skeptical of it not peeling or yellowing and it is pretty expensive. ($31/pt)

thanks

Best stuff in the world http://www.boeshield.com/default.htm

The aerosol can next to the 1 gallon jug. Kinda expensive but it lasts a long time. I coat all of my shocks, arms fittings with it. Read the story behind it.

Curtis

Thanks for the replies.....I might try the T-9, it looks pretty good and there is a local Sears nearby.....should be easy to get.

Back