• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering/SYE dilemma

cuboulder96xj

NAXJA Forum User
i need your guys opinions/experiences on my next step for the ol' XJ. i have learned Rough Country lifts are POS kits, my rear has sagged at least a 1.5", i want to restore my rear to a good height and add a SYE/new ds for good measure and more lift in the future. but recently my steering has been really wonky, it feels really loose, the steering wheel is really crooked when i'm going perfectly straight, the steering box whines and groans, and the steering as a whole kinda sucks, but it does work. plus my trac-bar bracket bolts keep coming loose! would it be wiser to upgrade my steering system with something like the TnT 4-bolt conversion kit using a YJ box or some other suggested steering fix? or should a SYE/ds and new rear shackles be my main concern? i do have some slight driveline vibes at random times...any ideas? thanks guys

I personally would feel safer with fixing the steering. You can do a Dakota box, which you don't need an adapter plate for. Id use some loctite on the threads of the TB bolts too. Sounds like you also need to go through and check out the TRE's for wear and such too. It would be a good time to upgrade if your running stock steering. My .02.

i've been doing a lot more research and posting since i first post. i think i'm leaning more towards a steering upgrade. any ideas about over the knuckle steering? is it worth it?

Back