• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster 50

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced my stock (rusty, full of holes, blown seam) muffler with a Flowmaster 50 cat back from Rusty's (pn XJFM-50) on my 01. Man! What a difference in tone! Not loud, but a real throaty rumble. What a deal for $150! I'm hoping for some performance improvements, but even if it is the same I'm a happy camper!

I put this on last spring, yes the sound is nice, little more pep to I found. I have new intake and exhuast tho so may be more noticable thank stock.

I put a super 40 on my blue jeep, actualy gained some HP off it too, lil loud though, no pipe, just dirrect turn downs off the oultets

A little warning... watch out for excessive heat coming off the top of the muffler and really warming up the floor. Mine burned the insulation when I first installed it.

originalxj said:
A little warning... watch out for excessive heat coming off the top of the muffler and really warming up the floor. Mine burned the insulation when I first installed it.

Mine still has the stock heat shield in place. There is a warning in the box with the muffler that says you need to do something to insulate the car from the muffler.

I notice more zip taking off from a stop now. It feels smoother on the highway, but my old pos muffler was really bad, so anything would probably help that!
And installing it was really simple. The toughest part was cutting the old junk off.

RenegadeStang said:
I plan on installing 2 Cats, a 40-series Flow, 3 Borlas and a pair of Purple Hornies, what do y'all think? :laugh:

...Then, fill the whole system with 00 steel wool and run flex hose back to your snorkle intake. Ohhh Yeaaah. Twisty tite.:cheers:

2x the insulation it will accelerate the oxidation of the floorboard. Had to weld new floors in my 92 with a flowmaster 40, no cat. Only place it was bad was over the cat and Muffler. Sounded good, but it will give you a headache if you have to drive to far. I eventualy put a high flow cat on and that quited it a bit, but I think if I do it again I will go with a more quite muffler on my 01. This is from a person that thought it sounded good runing straight header, that will make your ears bleed.

Rattman said:
2x the insulation it will accelerate the oxidation of the floorboard. Had to weld new floors in my 92 with a flowmaster 40, no cat. Only place it was bad was over the cat and Muffler. Sounded good, but it will give you a headache if you have to drive to far. I eventualy put a high flow cat on and that quited it a bit, but I think if I do it again I will go with a more quite muffler on my 01. This is from a person that thought it sounded good runing straight header, that will make your ears bleed.

Yeah, from what I've read on here, the 50 is more quiet than the 40 by a good bit. Everything from the muffler forward is stock and still looks good and is tight.

Whats quieter than the 50 series?

i gotta a borla header, highflow (supposedly magnaflow cat), flowmaster 50 series (original not the delta flow), and runs through 2 1/2 pipes. Sounds pretty bad ass under throttle, and its a nice bassy rumble at speed on the highway.

DEFINATELY get the flowmaster heat shield. It attaches with giant hose clamps, and maybe while you have the old muffler off , try putting on a DEI reflective heat shield on the floor. The flowmaster heat shield is like 15 bucks, and a DEI reflective heat mat is like $11-13 i think. Worth the insurance. My original muffler rusted my floor so it needs all the help it can get.

get a small piece my local hot rod shop has little ones the size of a muffler heres a link for ya

http://designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=27

Thanks. You really think the extra shielding is a good idea, even with the factory stuff still in place?

motorcityxj said:
i gotta a borla header, highflow (supposedly magnaflow cat), flowmaster 50 series (original not the delta flow), and runs through 2 1/2 pipes. Sounds pretty bad ass under throttle, and its a nice bassy rumble at speed on the highway.

DEFINATELY get the flowmaster heat shield. It attaches with giant hose clamps, and maybe while you have the old muffler off , try putting on a DEI reflective heat shield on the floor. The flowmaster heat shield is like 15 bucks, and a DEI reflective heat mat is like $11-13 i think. Worth the insurance. My original muffler rusted my floor so it needs all the help it can get.

get a small piece my local hot rod shop has little ones the size of a muffler heres a link for ya

http://designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=27

Fish'nCarz said:
Thanks. You really think the extra shielding is a good idea, even with the factory stuff still in place?

what factory stuff are you talking about, either i typed poorly and confused me or now i am confused ? lol

ohh my 95 had no factory stuff in place, i bought it January of 99 and replaced the muffler in like 2002. I never noticed any factory shielding. Just incase i am confusing you this DEI stuff goes on the OUTSIDE, reflective part facing the top of the muffler. There is ofcourse the stock jute/cotton matt under my carpet. I didnt want to insult you there, my XJ never had any factory heat shield above the muffler.

Its just cheap insurance for $13 bucks for the stick on and the $15-20 something flowmaster clamp on heat shield/shell (it wraps the top half of the muffler) in conjunction cheap insurance. I live in michigan and rust is a constant battle here, i try anything to keep the rust to a min.

My 92 didn’t have any shielding stock, my 01 does. So somewhere along the line Jeep decided that is was a good idea, probably in 97 with the other changes, just a guess.

Rattman said:
My 92 didn’t have any shielding stock, my 01 does. So somewhere along the line Jeep decided that is was a good idea, probably in 97 with the other changes, just a guess.

Yep. My 01 has a factory, shiny, stick-on, heat-shield above the muffler and cat. I've heard of guys with older rigs using those double-wall cookie sheets for heat shields.

Back