• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How crucial is brake bleed after changing front pad/rotors?

jtszymano

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it all, I think.
I want to do the install but not too sure about the bleeding part especially doing it correctly...
Plus, dont want to be ending up at a shop paying an additional $100 diagnostic fee etc for my screw up....
Thx
JS

when i changed mine and my buddies i didnt bleed them. as long as you dont snap a line or anything doing the change, then no air should get in the system.

well, you don't have to, but it is part of the maintenance program for any jeep. remember, brake fluid is hygroscopic, and will degrade over time. you didn't say how old the jeep is or how many miles?

There is no need to bleed a brake system as part of a repair, unless you open up a line.

However, you should do the job every two years, to remove accumulated moisture and crud (brake fluid is, as mentioned, hygroscopic. This means it has an affinity for moisture, and will pick it up. Moisture in the system will do two things - 1) depress the boiling point of the fluid. This makes it more likely to get some boiling down in the calipers, and you'll get gas pockets. Fluid doesn't compress - gas does. 2) It could cause rust in the iron parts - calipers, cylinders, and master cylinder. That's just plain bad.)

I will usually do a FULL brake fluid change every other year. Draw the fluid out of the master cylinder, wipe it clean, and refill. Then, vacuum bleed each wheel - RR/LR/RF/LF, in that order. Draw fluid until it comes out clean. It's best to have a helper with this one - they can keep the M/cyl topped off while you're working underneath, and it will cut your working time by half or so...

5-90

Sounds good.
Oh. I have a 2001 btw.
Looks like I have some rotors and pads to order...
Thanks fellas. Ill keep u posted on whether this goes over well...

Me and my buddies are obsessive/compulsive about small things like this. If we don't have enough money to get gas for a good trail run that weekend we usually end up flushing the brakes, changing the oil, as well as every other fluid in the jeep and cleaning stupid little things like spit shining spark plugs... sometimes i'll change the brake fluid twice in a month and forget the oil for like 6000 miles.... oh well...

Back