• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I-47, Tinkham Freeway

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For anyone who remembers last year's Tinkham snow run, Sunday would have been a big surprise!

Myself, Jay2000XJ, Slacker87XJ and "Uncle Gary" from PNW Jeep met in Issaquah Sunday with plans to cut trees and play in the snow. We had a rocky start; when pulling over to air down both Ian and I got stuck...ten feet from the pavement. After getting out of that and heading on down the road, I spun out (if you have to ask, you've never seen me drive;)) and buried my front end in the snow. After extricating me from that, we turned off the main road and headed up the road up the hill.

To our horror, we found 6-7 rigs sitting in the large turnout (including a new CompASS!) under the power lines. There were two full-size Chevy 3/4 ton trucks trying to pull another one out of the snow. They had one tow-strap, and another truck attached to that one with ROPE. They had it doubled over a few times and were about to start pulling with it. I jumped out and convinced them of the futility and stupidity of this move and winched the stuck rig out.

About 3/4 of a mile up the road (by the RR trestle) we run into a traffic jam; four Subarus going up and three coming down. A total Charlie-Foxtrot. One of the chicks driving a Subaru told us, “There are 40 cars up there and you can’t get up. The Sheriff is sending people out because it’s so packed.”

Last year we got a few hundred feet and everyone got stuck. Now there’s a Freeway! Anyway, despite the dire warnings, we pushed ahead. Sure enough about two miles later, we came across a KC Sheriff blocking the road with his little S-10. I hopped out and explained that we were just going up to play in snow, and that we all had good M/T tires, recovery gear and were prepared for the snow. He grudgingly let us pass.

When we got to the first “shooting range” (those who’ve been to Tinkham know what I’m talking about) we all had to do a double take. There were 15 vehicles up there, everything from a Chrysler mini-van to a Land Rover Disco II. They had music, a bon fire, several BBQs going, kids on sleds. It was surreal.

After asking a Suburban to move aside and clear the road, we pushed on, bouncing around like crazy between two sets of ruts. About another mile later came across a CJ and a really nice FJ40 with a 350. The owners were both nice guys and we chatted with them for a while. I tried a couple times to push further, but with snow well over my waist and the consistency of mashed potatoes, it wasn’t going to happen. So we killed a box of clay pigeons. :D

Here are a few pics that Ian (slacker87XJ) took on his cell phone. There should be some more coming from the others in the group soon.

Trying to ram my way through a 4' wall of snow:

tinkham1.jpg

End of the road:

matt_buried.jpg

matt_buried2.jpg

The rest of the group:

tinkham2.jpg

tinkham3.jpg

Ian's truck with it's new (ish) Swampers:

tinkham4.jpg

-----Matt-----

You're such a great story teller. I always look forward to reading about your secret Jeeping adventures.

EDIT: Holy crap when'd you get a snorkel?!

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
Not like my ego needed to be any bigger, but thanks anyway

Good point. I'd lean to say you write too little? Maybe it's cause I want to see such grandios adventuring some day, and you kinda make that possible?

CanMan said:
too much beer the night before...

NEVAR!

PDeeXJ said:
EDIT: Holy crap when'd you get a snorkel?!
LOL, I thought you'd like that. I got it about a year ago, just never got around to putting it on. I've always wanted one, and unlike most (not talking about you), I'll actually use it.

What brand is yours?

PDeeXJ said:
I'd lean to say you write too little?
Good to know. I've been trying to keep it brief and concise, maybe I'll expound some more next time.

-----Matt-----

Forgot to mention that I pulled out an eastern European dude in a Subaru (couldn't quite place the accent) on the way down, he'd made it about 100 yards up the jeep track past the upper parking lot, and then sank, blocking the road.

He let me get a good way ahead on the way down, and then caught up with some proper sideways rally driving. I then realized that he made it that far up the jeep track cause he was probably airborne most of the way :eek:

-i

ps we need to get little stickers for vehicle marques we've towed out. Thats the second suby this year. XJs on trail runs don't count, of course. :D

IXNAYXJ said:
I jumped out and convinced them of the futility and stupidity of this move and winched the stuck rig out.

This is the quote of the year!!!!!!!!!!!

IXNAYXJ said:
Last year we got a few hundred feet and everyone got stuck. Now there’s a Freeway!
Trust me, I remember that. Who was it who thought that is was better not to air down their YJ and get repeatedly stuck going up that hill, time, after time, after time, after time, !!

IXNAYXJ said:
a Chrysler mini-van to a Land Rover Disco II. They had music, a bon fire, several BBQs going, kids on sleds. It was surreal.
Did you really admit to getting stuck 10 ft from the road, and then admit there was a MINI VAN up there?

IXNAYXJ said:
I thought you'd like that. I got it about a year ago, just never got around to putting it on.
You mean to tell me you have had that thing for that long, and you havn't put it on till now?? All those times through the water? All those floodings? :smoker:
With your love of water can I recommend you don't wait another year to water proof EVERYTHING else that should be protected:)

IXNAYXJ said:
Wow! Thanks, seriously. Not like my ego needed to be any bigger, but thanks anyway. I always worry I'm writing too much and nobody gives a damn enough to read it.
No, you don't need any additional Ego boosts, but your storys are always entertaining to read, and I think that the vast majority of this group enjoys reading them.

Sounds like you guys had fun!!
Looking forward to another trip down there this winter.

Michael

IXNAYXJ said:
I've always wanted one, and unlike most (not talking about you), I'll actually use it.

-----Matt-----

Oh, yes, We have all seen pictures to prove that one.

Back