• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I measure for shocks?

GAJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a 3" lift on a 92 - bastard pack in the rear, ACOS in front. I have read through many posts regarding shocks and the general opinion seems to be that all XJs are different and I need to measure while flexed.

How?

I have a driveway, jack stands, and a floor jack - no ramp, rocks, hills, steps - just a driveway, jack stands, and a floor jack. What's the best way to get flex with what I have (or can I adequately do so)?

Once I have flexed the suspension, what exactly am I measuring?

Thanks...

Flex it til you find the spot where you have the most compression. Measure eye-to-eye for the shock and that's your compressed length. Then buy the shock that has the longest extended length for that compression and you'll have more than enough travel.

For me the best way is to go to a place with a lift, and put your Jeep on the lift and disco the shocks, then the suspension can hang. Measure the eye to eye length, and that should do it. JOE>

sloppyjoe said:
For me the best way is to go to a place with a lift, and put your Jeep on the lift and disco the shocks, then the suspension can hang. Measure the eye to eye length, and that should do it. JOE>

compression is more important in my opinion. You can have all the droop in the world, but if your up travel is limited by your shocks bottoming out, then you're really in a pickle and out a few hundred dollars. You don't want to use your shocks as bump stops and you don't want to use them as limiting straps, so that said, get some bump stops and some limiting straps after you decide what shocks you need so you don't ruin them. Like mentioned before, measure the compression, find a shock that has the eye to eye compressed length close to what your numbers are and get them.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

With respect to bar bin eliminators and stud adapters, what are the benefits? Do they just give me a wider range of shocks to choose from or do they improve performance?

no real performance increase as far as I could tell, sorta preloaded the bushings, but mostly, gives you a wider range of shocks to choose from.

Barpin eliminators are just more of a convenience IMO...a single through-bolt is much easier to deal with than the two stock small bolts/nuts and it's stronger too.

The stud adapter can give you more range of motion without tweaking or wearing out the bushings if you orient it properly.

as far as how to flex it out, articulate the OTHER end is the best way. Find whatever you can to flex it with.

I used a stack of tires when I was flexing to test fit my 35's.

DSC00885.JPG

cal said:
as far as how to flex it out, articulate the OTHER end is the best way. Find whatever you can to flex it with.

I used a stack of tires when I was flexing to test fit my 35's.

DSC00885.JPG

Nice 'home' way Cal,

I use a fork lift

Back