• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep fuel pump problems???

dunk

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj. When is is cold like 15 deg or colder and I turn the key switch the fuel pump will not come on. I left the key on 3/4 of the way to see if it would click on and after a couple of seconds the (MAINT REQD) light blinked on and then i heard some weird clicks (sounded like under the passenger side) and then all of a sudden the fuel pump kicked on and she started up.

It seems like the cold weather makes my fuel pump not want to work. I have put in a new fuel relay and was thinking about a new fuel pump installation. But if that does not work I dont know what other options I would have. Like I said if I leave the key on 3/4 of the way it will eventually start, but I think it might toast the fuel relay. Any Ideas???:geek:

thanks
Dunk

does a 92 have a fuel pump ballast resistor?
Sounds like it's opening the circuit when it's cold and the resistor shrinks.
The reson it works on 3/4 to start is because the start circuit bypasses the ballast resistor to feed the pump a full 12v.
On a renix rig it's on the drivers side fender, little white block. I'm not sure if an HO even has it or where it's at. Just a thought.

I found it, I believe it is ceramic. I dont see any way to test it. Looks like a simple thing....no moving parts

thanks
Dunk

it is a simple thing, but if it cracks then it doesn't power the pump.
The easiest test is to jumper it with a piece of wire.
If it runs after that you need a new one.

Back