• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 headlight upgrade....Delta?

Nevada

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy.....anyone have an opinion of these? Do they suck? Do their products suck?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_121.htm

I'm in the process of creating the upgrade plug/wiring/fuze/relay assembly to for some H4's. I'm guessing that by doing so, I won't even have to replace that Push-pull headlight knob switch I was complaining about in another thread. I figure since it's only failing me when I use the brights, it shouldn't fail at all once I remove all the current draw of both brights and lows. Hell...the cost of upgrading my wiring is cheaper than a new switch.....and it'll handle some of those illegal lights down the line. Cool.

There seems to be some sentimental value attached to that damn push-pull switch.....the responses to that thread had me laughing out loud. I'll probably still replace it the future....it just seems odd....all those cool light-up rockers....then that stupid knob.

..and here's another idea. Anyone have any preferences between a Flowmaster or Dynaflow muffler? What's the difference in sound?...I sure as hell don't want my XJ sounding like one of those little boy-racer P'sOS.

Last edited:
I think all the lenses are about the same, unless you know something that I missed. I think Delta is supposed to be pretty good, but APC makes a 5x7 lens also, and they cost about $25 a piece (they also have a new style and an old style the new is definitely the better of the two.) I used the APC lenses with the Hella 9003 bulbs (they are the same as an H4), I get a better view of the road and its worth the $85 I spent on the bulbs and lenses.

CrankyYankee said:
Try the search function. Lots of info out there on this topic. I have the Delta Tech H4's and I am pleased with their performance.
did you do wire harness upgrade also

Yeah...I've done extensive searching. That's how I solved several lighting problems....this forum rules. If someone mentioned Deltas specifically I probably missed it. From what I've learned....the wiring upgrade doesn't seem to be necessary when running the 55/60 watt (street legal) bulbs.....but is necessary when you start running the higher wattages. I'm changing my wiring 'cause I've already caused some issues with my headlight switch (some previous half-ass wiring I'd done). Like I said...the rewire is cheaper than a new switch and will allow high watt bulbs down the line.

I guess I'll purchase those Deltas....see how them muthaz work out.

Thanks.

Nevada said:
Hell...the cost of upgrading my wiring is cheaper than a new switch.....

What year is your jeep? I have some spare headlight switches..

I put those (round version) on my TJ. I like them very much!!

I recently put a EBAY set on my MJ. I like those even more and they where half the price and glass!!

NewlightsforMJ.jpg

H4s.jpg

The Drivers side is the new light while the Pass side is a Sylvania Silver Star.

NEWLIGHTS.jpg

CW

I have the IPF conversion with fatboys and it is noticably brighter than my bro's with the delta lights. The deltas are a little to blue for me, when its raining foggy they tend to be less efffective. Part of the reason the stockers aren't that great is the manufacturers don't put as much R & D in a light that will get thrown away when it blows. I won't argue that there may be better bulbs than the fatboys, but the IPF housings focus the light really well. If I did it again I would go with the IPF housing and a cheaper H4 bulb.

ps APC=A Piece of Crap every lens that me or a friend has had had leaked and I had the lights blow twice within a month

Last edited:
Newb here. I too have IPF 5x7's with Fatboy's. It was the first upgrade I did to my 2000 XJ. I have yet to upgrade the harness. I'll wire it myself with a switch relay. But I love the lights!! Great beam focus. Helps to keep from tickets when using non-street legal wattages. I've had Hella and Cibie on other rigs. Certainly in that class.

tonydm

I did the Hella E-code conversion about 5 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

JTwthaXJ said:
I think all the lenses are about the same, unless you know something that I missed. I think Delta is supposed to be pretty good, but APC makes a 5x7 lens also, and they cost about $25 a piece (they also have a new style and an old style the new is definitely the better of the two.) I used the APC lenses with the Hella 9003 bulbs (they are the same as an H4), I get a better view of the road and its worth the $85 I spent on the bulbs and lenses.

The lenses are not the same. You get what you pay for. In the end, IPF, Hella, CIBIE are the conversion housings to go with. Bulb choice is up to you. I'm looking at Hella/Fatboy combo or IPF/Fatboy combo. The lenses direct the light, and cheap lenses will have cheap optics and won't focus the light like the better lenses. There's a reason you pay more.

Back