• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end click when braking

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I've already searched, most results were about anti-rattle clips

Anyway, it's just a single click coming from the front end everytime i hit the brakes, but only when the car/brakes are warmed up

I guess the assumption is the pads, i'll check them this weekend if i get the chance...........but they are brand new, and just started doing this today. With the OEM pads that were on there prior to this for the last 12k miles, I never had this noise.

So here's my question, could the click be related to bad axle u-joints??? I ask, because i know i have at least one going bad in the front (i get a shimmy on hard left turns)

It could be a divit on the knuckle where the brake caliper slides. over time this slide wears down and can cause the caliper to catch and make some noise. I learned this on my 94 after the brakes would get heated I would get clunking noise that I could feel though the brake peddle.

To fix it you need to run a thin weld bead across the slide then grind it back to smooth.

the u-joints will click when you turn if they are bad.

they definately "click"

this is an '01 with 74k on the clock, wtf?

these are the Morse brand ceramic pads from Autozone, supposedly decent pads from searching on here

they have a lifetime warranty, maybe i could take them back and get different ones???

Last edited:
i know it's been over a year, but my jeep still does this

it is absolutely driving me nuts

the noise is definitely coming from the front....

- the axle u-joints are new and solid
- my knuckles don't have grooves in them, the pads fit tight against them........i've inspected the brakes numerous times, i really don't think they are the culprit

what else could cause this single CLICK when i hit the brakes?? It is definitely more of a noise than a feeling

Sounds like the pad is rotating slightly in the caliper and both "ears" of the pad are not contacting the knuckle at the same time. Perhaps try a little of the anti squeal RTV type stuff on the pad that sits in the piston.

i initially thought that as well, but since this is the 3rd set of brake pads that i'm having the noise with AND the pads fit tight along the knuckles (i.e. no play)....i'm just don't see how it could be the brakes

could this be front driveshaft or lower control arm related?? The sound is literally if you were to clap two brake pads together.....

Just out of curiosity, how do your swaybar bushings look on the frame mount side-every time I'd go over a bump mine would clank, clank clank clank...

May not have anything to do with your problem, but just an idea.

OK, something else to muddy the water with....Does it do it in 2 wheel as well as 4 wheel drive? Is it definitely from the front? I had more of a clunk from the slip joint in the rear drive shaft; but that sound would be more from the middle of the care than the front.....

Back