• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior groaning/honking noise while turning steering wheel

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
'97 XJ -- My steering column has developed a "honking" [like a goose] while spinning the wheel in parallel parking / 3pt. turns. Spin, honk!, spin, honk! It's internal friction somewhere, not the actual horn. Goes away with the tilt wheel in the highest position. I figured when I replaced my turn signal switch and reassembled things I might accidently fix it, but no such luck. Anyone else experience [and cure] this?

mine also does this in cold weather. i believe it is the hard rubber flange/grommit that the steering shaft passes through in the firewall. i also had turn signal issues, and hoped to find something in there, but no avail. so i tracked it down, and i really think its that tough rubber. kinda fun though eh? HONK! not really. but yeah, i feel your pain!

There are two Technical Service Bulletins addressing this problem, 19-02-96 and revised 19-04-98. "Steering Column Boot Squawk" is the official name for this. Solution: Lubricate the steering column intermediate shaft and boot at the bulkhead -- where the small end of the boot contacts the shaft -- with MOPAR Seat Belt Track lube -- .2 hrs labor.

I've had two threads going on this at once. I'm done. !!!1

Back