• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What back spacing is best

GermanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 Sport with the 8 1/4 rear, a 3" procomp lift and want 31" SS LTBs on 15" rims. What backspacing would be best? I dont want any rubbing while turning and I have already cut the fenders. Thanks in advance for the help.
:passgas: :puke:
:fuse: AMMO

I like 4" back spacing. I like the look and the way it handles at 4" of backspacing.. I have the RE 4.5" lift. For myself, I wouldn't go less than 3.75" of backspacing..

Oh yeah, I have no rubbing at all when I put my 31's x 10.5...

Elias

I have been running 31-10.50s on the stock rims(5.25) and they dont rub.
Wayne

You should get the backspacing that gives you the clearance you need and stop there. The closer you can keep the tires to the axle the better for strength purposes. ie: hold a paint can in tight to your body, then hold your arm out farther and farther, that can will get pretty heavy by the time your arm is outstretched. Now think in terms of your axle shafts as your arms. Hope this made sense. lol 4.5" would be best for your setup in my humble but correct lol opinion.

I bought my XJ with 3" lift and 31x10.5 on 15x8's with 4" backspacing. If I had 4.5" bs, I probably could've avoided trimming for disco'd front sway. I love the look of the 4" bs though.

You'll find that most guys here have either 3.75" or 4" of bs. I personally run 4", cause i feel it looks the best and offers plenty of room. However keep in mind that either of those are gonna push your tires out past the stock fender flares, which could cause a legality issue in some states. I'm living in AZ now and they could care less how far your tires stick out, but will be moving to Maryland soon and apparently they are pretty strict on fender flares, and how far your tires stick out. So keep that in mind as well. HTH

Edit: I see your in Germany, so pretty much disreguard all i said about state legality issues lol

What about backspacing for 10" wheels? Anyone know what you need on those to keep from rubbing...oh lets say 33x12.50s? You never know when you will find an awesome set of 15x10s :D

I have an awesome set of 15x10 rims trying to get rid on right now LOL They either got 3.75 or 3.5 BS, trying to trade for some 8" rims with the same BS. Got any you wanna trade?????

AZ XJ said:
You'll find that most guys here have either 3.75" or 4" of bs. I personally run 4", cause i feel it looks the best and offers plenty of room. However keep in mind that either of those are gonna push your tires out past the stock fender flares, which could cause a legality issue in some states. I'm living in AZ now and they could care less how far your tires stick out, but will be moving to Maryland soon and apparently they are pretty strict on fender flares, and how far your tires stick out. So keep that in mind as well. HTH

Edit: I see your in Germany, so pretty much disreguard all i said about state legality issues lol

Germany is very over restrictive about everything.

A 31" LTB should be 11.50" wide....I would go 4.50" on the BS simply to keep them under the lip of the flare.

I run 33/12.50's with this backspacing and they are right on the edge of being covered. So far, so good.

One other thing to consider....do you have an adjustable trackbar or have you repositioned the trackbar? This will get the axle back in the middle where it belongs preventing the tire on the left from sticking out too far.

Back