• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

York compressor on a Chev Gen III motor?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching around and haven't found anything much on this. I am planning to put a 2000 or newer Chevy 5.3 Gen III motor in my MJ project and would like to mount a York Compressor to it...while retaining factory air cond. I can't find anyone that makes brackets to do this nor have I found anyone that has actually done it. Anybody got any links? Jeff

Try looking in the local yards, as I found a 1970 something CHEVY van with a Spanish( NOT mexican ) York knock-off sitting under the hood. The brackets actually fit right to the York with NO mods. I even got the compressor with the brackets for about $30.

ren said:
Try looking in the local yards, as I found a 1970 something CHEVY van with a Spanish( NOT mexican ) York knock-off sitting under the hood. The brackets actually fit right to the York with NO mods. I even got the compressor with the brackets for about $30.

That's fine for older v8 motors, but the late model 5.3's are quite a bit different than the older motors. I don't even have one yet, but I think it would be a great choice to power my MJ as it's light, powerful, plentiful, should come with a nice 4 speed OD auto tranny, and fairly compact. However, it isn't going to be cheap. Looking at pictures, it looks like a york could be mounted off the side of the cast bracket that mounts the alternator and power steering pump on the drivers side of the front of the motor. I think one would fit there and still keep the top of the compressor low enough to fit under an MJ/XJ hood.
a9_1_sbl.JPG

DSCN0981.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
You could try contacting Kilby and see if they have anything in the works.

A guy in my club was working with Kilby on a bracket for the compressor. he is running it on a 97 vortec 5.7 not sure if that makes a difference.

Jeff,

I've been thinking (really I have) and I think it may be a whole lot easier to do a sadan compressor that is setup to pump air. There are a couple of people that make pumps and you don't need to worry about the pre-oil issues. It's tight and should bolt to the stock location and use a stock belt.

Just some radom thoughts.

The minis work good too. They are a little bit smaller in displacement but not by much. The full sized yorks come in the 210, 209, and 206's the minis are 209's and 206's. When you get one just make sure you get a 209. A lot of smaller 70's and 80's cars ran these compressors. Like the BMW and VW's, but the VW's are the smaller 206's.
Here is a York next to a Mini York or subcompact york.
miniyork.jpg

miniyork3.jpg

jwtrapper said:
This is a mini york and wont work for the full sized compressors

Why not? They have the same bolt pattern. The york mini is not that much shorter than the fullsize. Hood clearances are proabably going to be tight so he will need to mount the york horizontally anyway unless he hangs it off the side of the engine. When mounted horizontally even if the york mini is narrower the clutches are both the same size...

Back