• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM tire carrier

well my 87 tire carrier (the one that mounts on the side and latches in the middle (has a special bumper with a cut out in it for the latch) could just BARELY get a 235/75R15 onto it, I was able to catch maybe 3 threads (the truck is supposed to use 215s or 225s biggest stock). I took it to a welding shop and had them weld in a new set of threads that were longer so I could fit my 235 on it a bit better.

I fit a 31 x 10.5 x15 on my recently installed oem carrier, just zapped in some longer studs. I would definately not go bigger. Its a weight thing more than a size thing, When I'm doing any heavy wheeling I use a cam lock strap between the tire and the rear roof crossbar for extra support. And the rear wiper becomes almost useless because it only wipes the area you can no longer see.

I'm not sure if this would matter, but which OEM carrier do you have (bumper mount or quarter panel mount)?

I ran a 31x11.5 on a OE bumper mount for about 2 years. Towards the end of that time, the mount had bent a bit, but appeared to be OK.

I wouldn't consider running anything larger on either OE carrier.

Kent :)

Back