• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NJ Inspection - now engine light is on

01XJLIMITED

NAXJA Forum User
Wife had the 01 inspected Friday, now the check engine light is on. I searched for several items, but can't come up with how to get the codes without a scanner. Can I use a paper clip like I used to on the Chevy OBD? Turn the key 3 or 5 times?

Vehicle is running fine, but I would appreciate your answers on how to get the codes. Stock 4.0 HO with 35000 miles.

Thx

I have had the same thing happen on my XJ's in the past. I unhooked both battery lines held them together to "reset" the computer, and it took care of the problem for me. We also had a XJ as an old company car that would occassionally throw on a check engine light, and our service guy would just take the battery leads off the battery overnight, hook them back up in the morning and it would not have the light on. I had the Jeep tech at the local dealership tell me about touching the two unhooked wires together to clear the computer, but I am not sure it is truely legit, but it did work for my instance......its worth a try!

you can go to your local autozone and ask the guy behind the counter to pull the codes. They might give you a hard time about erasing them but at least you know what it is. Autozone does it free of charge, and I usually can get them to clear the codes "to see if they come back"

When you went to inspection, they checked the gas cap for a pressure test.
Make sure that the cord on the gas cap, is not pinched under the o-ring seal.
If it is this will cause the check eng. light to come on.
If this is the problem, put the cap on right. The check engine light will clear itself (about a week), i can tell you this has happen to me many times.
Usually right after i fill up the tank, the gas attendant always seems to get the cord pinch under the cap.

You don't need to short the battery cables togather to reset the MIL lamp. Just pulling the - cable off for a minute, or two will work. Keep in mind this will erase all codes stored +all real time run data, and it may take a while to relight the MIL. It also may make it harder for a service tech to find the problem if there really is one.

Last edited:
jeeperz said:
Usually right after i fill up the tank, the gas attendant always seems to get the cord pinch under the cap.

why not pump your own gas? i havent even seen a non-self service pump in over a decade.

All gas stations in New Jersey are full service (state law) , believe me i would rather pump my own gas. Then let some of these idiots do it.

All gas stations in New Jersey are full service (state law)

New Jersey and Oregon. Saves those no-skill, low-paying jobs.:smsoap:

Yup, NJ is full service and the gas is cheaper by $.30+ cents a gallon compared to the 'labor saving' self service in PA. Gives HS students something to do for part time work, I did it all thru HS.
As far as the CEL, depends on the code thrown, loose or incorrect gas cap should reset fairly quickly, if they blocked the exhaust to do a sniffer and it acted like clogged cat it may take 5 full cycles to reset it..

Wife had the 01 inspected Friday, now the check engine light is on. I searched for several items, but can't come up with how to get the codes without a scanner. Can I use a paper clip like I used to on the Chevy OBD? Turn the key 3 or 5 times?

Vehicle is running fine, but I would appreciate your answers on how to get the codes. Stock 4.0 HO with 35000 miles.

Thx

So did you get check eng. light to clear?

Back