• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny and t/c score

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
buddy of mine just sold me his auto and t/c for a $100.wondering if it will bolt to mine he says it will but dont know which tranny or t/c i got and dont know which one i bought.hoping you guys could tell me if not i could always sell it for that price.anyways i goe a 93 xj with a 4.0HO.the donor tranny came out of a 96 grand cherokee also with 4.0.

More input - auto or stick? If stick, it's a five-speed?

Auto from a 1996 ZJ is, I think, a 32RE or a 42RE (three-speed or four-speed,) since I think they quit using the AW4 in 1994 or 1995 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) A five-speed should be an AX-15.

In your XJ, it should be either the AW4 (auto) or AX-15 (stick.) I'd not consider the ChryCo 3xRx/4xRx to be an upgrade over the AW4, and I may want to talk to you about the AX-15 if you're close enough (I didn't look before I answered. Sorry.)

5-90

The first half of 93 was the only time that the ZJ got the AW4, which I consider to be stronger and more reliable than the crappy Chrysler trannies they switched to. Keep your existing AW4 (assuming it's an auto) and resell the tranny on eBay.

Back