• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery connections

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
im running some 4 guage welding cable for my 2 caddy compressors and i was wondering how i connect it to the battery. my battery only has the 2 posts and my battery cables fit on them ive seen marine fittings but then i wouldnt have anywhere to put my battery cables. any ideas thanks

Two possible solutions that I can see...

First, convert to marine or military-style clamps, and reterminate the cables you have with ring lugs.

Second, if you're getting a new battery anyhow (I'm not sure if you are or not,) Optimas have two sets of terminals - one top post, and one side post. The side posts accept 3/8"-16 screws, use screws anywhere from 1/2" to 1" long (depending upon how many rings you want to stack.) Use of washers and either brass or stainless screws recommended - with brass preferred between the two. DO NOT EXCEED 100A "CONSTANT" DRAW ON THE SIDE POSTS - it's possble to melt them right out of the case!

Third (just thought of this one,) you can remove the nut from the battery clamp and use the bolt to attach the cable - I've seen this done fairly often when someone adds an alarm or somesuch.

Fourth (this is a new idea as well...) use a 1/4" ring lug, and attach to your PDC input post - where the battery cable goes. This works for HO - if you have RENIX (1984-1990 w/AMC engine,) use a 3/8" ring and attach it to the start relay screwpost, since it's used for distrbution anyhow. DO NOT EXCEED 50A AT EITHER POINT.

HTH

5-90

thanks for the input. i was at the hardware store and they had marine style battery clamps and the other bits and peices to make it all work so i did that.

Back