• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door won't open... could be broken handle/latch... need help

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, w/the freezing rain, sleet and snow that blanketed us yesterday here in Oklahoma... I went out to start my '96 XJ yesterday and when I went to push the handle and open my door I think the mechanism inside snapped or broke. Problem is, I can't get the door open now. Any ideas on how to get the door open w/out using the door handle so that I can take the inner trim off and see what's going on and try to fix it? Passenger side door worked fine so I am able to get inside my XJ.

I had to push the handle button pretty hard since it was frozen and now it feels as though there is no resistance when trying to push the handle as though something is broke on the inside. Any ideas what that could be?

Thanks.

Wow I have the exact problem on my 88 xj. Its the rear passenger door with me. Had to push the button really hard and now it WONT CLOSE! Wish mine was stuck shut! Anyone have any leads on parts or how to fix?

Well I don't think I can get the back plate (inner door trim) off w/out opening up the door. Sort'of a catch-22 if you will... :(

I am going to go and clear the 12+ inches of snow off here in a little bit and see what I can or can't do.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks all.

Redsnake said:
Well I don't think I can get the back plate (inner door trim) off w/out opening up the door. Sort'of a catch-22 if you will... :(

I am going to go and clear the 12+ inches of snow off here in a little bit and see what I can or can't do.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks all.

Wow im sorry to hear about your problem. Dude I don't know how some people live in snow like that. Today in San Diego where I live it will probably be about 73* or so. :roll:

Well... we don't normally get that much snow here in OK... but we do get ALL the Seasons... f/ 105 degree days in the summer to sub zero degrees in the winter and ALL ranges in between.

I got both our Jeeps unconvered and shoveled the walkway... but haven't messed w/my door yet. I can always crawl in f/the passenger side.

Ok went to Jeep Dealer. Couple things.
1. Told them I had an 88 and the guy looked at me like I was dumb.
2. Can't get me in untill Monday at 8:00am.
3. Service wouldn't even come out to look at the door latch.
4. Salesman comes out to look at the problem... GETS DOOR TO LATCH!
5. No door won't open... but better than it bungeed shut with blizzard warning in KC

follow-up...

Apparently the mechanism inside the door was frozen. Yesterday the sun warmed the door and she opened right up like normal. :)

Glad the natural sun was able to solve your problem.

I have a problem w/ my REAR doors. The frekin button to open the door requires two thumbs to push it in because its to stiff. What the hell is up with that? Its a 2000 Sport.

Mine are extremly hard to push in the button on the back doors too... But most of the time it's because the door lock isnt all the way unlocked... I wish we had it snow like that ONE OR TWO times here in SC

It was 70 degrees here Tuesday. Now we have 7 1/2" in SW Missouri. Been tooling around the streets in 4H until they clear, 4L on the side streets. The AT/KO's do all right, especially on the ice as things melt and refreeze.

Yeah, my door locks do the same - it's the weather. When really cold, all my old cars give me fits until I spray out the old factory grease and relube them.

I was out Thursday morning - 2AM - getting off shift and could not get in the Cherokee. Everybody left. Used a brick on the door button to knock off the 3/8" of ice. Finally walked to Wallyworld 4 blocks, against the freezing sleet, bought deicer , a small prybar, windshield cover, and balaclava.

I got in the Jeep. They next night I packed that stuff in and put it in the locker. It's no good sitting inside a frozen over car.

Yeah, I was the first to leave next night.

I know if you remove the inner door panel and spray some good lube along all the latches and such and the door latch it will greatly help getting in and out and the eash of opening the door. I've done that a few times over the past couple years.

Sux getting locked out of your own vehicle because of the weather.

Back