• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Leakage upon shut down

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
i searched a bit but i didnt see anything this specific

soooo

Every so often, definitely not every day, ill drive for a bit, then turn the jeep off, get out, and notice that it has started to leak coolant. itll do that for 30 seconds to a minute, and then stop. it doesnt leak until i shut the jeep off, and it doesnt happen all the time. no real correlation with time driven either, as i drive to school and work every day and itll only happen sometimes even though same time and distance and conditions.

is this a waterpump issue? anything else i should be loooking at? its been doing this for some time and ive just been refilling the reservoir every month or so and have had no ill-effects but would like to really address it.

CanMan said:
Have you isolated the leak? Is it coming from the overflow bottle?
I'm guilty of being careless in the engine bay and its pretty overly dirty in there so i cant find the origin of the leak, at least not yet, not overly sure of where to start in there. this is a totally unrelated pic of my trackbar system, but it just happened to catch the leak after i parked. You can see its leaking from above all there and dripping onto the lines and whatnot

DSCN3188.jpg

Jeep year? As far as you know, is the waterpump original? I remember another vehicle I owned wouldn't leak until after it was off, just like you describe. Other possibilities include the thermostat housing, but if you have anything near 100K, I would replace the pump...flush the cooling system BEFORE you begin work, as any crud in the system will damage seals, etc. A good time to "review" the cooling system...hoses, thermostat,etc....cheap insurance against potentially EXPENSIVE failure.... hope this gives some ideas, good luck!!

BSG

That looks like a waterpump leak. There's a little hole in the housing right behind the pulley, if the pump is going, it will start leaking water from there. Looks like it's time for a new pump, and make sure you flush the system. Also, let the engine warm up, shut it off and feel the radiator core, it should be an even temperature, if not, time to replace that also.

Back