• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana44 application

workaholic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, in the local craigslist a Dana44 has been listed. The guy only wants $50 for it, I'm thinking about picking it up for my MJ build which is slowly but surely coming along. It would be replacing the Dana35 that is currently in the truck. The only thing the person knows about it is that its possibly from an AMC or international and is a 6bolt hub. Does anyone know if there are any Dana44's to stay away from? would it be possible to convert the hubs on this to 5x4.5 with the same offset as the dana30 currently on my mj? (I already have a set of black rockcrawlers I would like to keep). I realize that i'm hasta here, due to the somewhat unique situation I hope i'm not being too much of a typical Noob.

Thanks
Tom

You had to ask now - I'm actually working on that very thing, but a preliminary guide is about two months or so away (I'm still compiling Dana BoM numbers...)

Granted, I can't think of any reason you can't get some custom shafts made, or get the thing re-tubed by a reputable rearend shop (I've got a couple that need re-tubing myself - both FS Dodge P/U fronts...)

5-90

EDIT - ask him if he can find a bill of materials number - it will be a seven-digit number of the pattern 6xyyyy-z or 6xyyyy-zz. All Dana BoM numbers I've seen so far begin with a six, and the "y" is almost invariably zero or one. The first part is the "base" number, and the last is the "sub" number.

Give with the BoM number (if available - and I think it's stamped into the centre section proper or stamped into a tube near the centre section) and it can be run backwards to get other useful information - like original application, differential type, gear ratio, and the like.

5-90

5-90 said:
You had to ask now - I'm actually working on that very thing, but a preliminary guide is about two months or so away (I'm still compiling Dana BoM numbers...)

Granted, I can't think of any reason you can't get some custom shafts made, or get the thing re-tubed by a reputable rearend shop (I've got a couple that need re-tubing myself - both FS Dodge P/U fronts...)

5-90

EDIT - ask him if he can find a bill of materials number - it will be a seven-digit number of the pattern 6xyyyy-z or 6xyyyy-zz. All Dana BoM numbers I've seen so far begin with a six, and the "y" is almost invariably zero or one. The first part is the "base" number, and the last is the "sub" number.

Give with the BoM number (if available - and I think it's stamped into the centre section proper or stamped into a tube near the centre section) and it can be run backwards to get other useful information - like original application, differential type, gear ratio, and the like.

5-90
WOW! thanks for the super fast reply!. So it sounds like for $50 (if its still there) I really cant go wrong? question is would it be worth it to get this Dana44 and have it shortened and get different axles or just wait for one out of a xj and put different perches and a locker in and call it a day?

Thanks
Tom

PS: Now that I look around craigslist more I'm finding several Dana44 fronts complete disk to disk for less than $300, Now i'm scheeming as to how difficult doing 44's front and rear would be :firedevil? I imagine that running a Dana 44 front would require alot of fab work and $$ especially if I wanted to run coils up front?

Thanks
Tom

FWIW D44's are $150 or 75 at the local Pick A Part when available. Usually see one every 3 months or so. Being in the Bay Area, you shouldn't have too hard a time finding a real XJ 44.

workaholic said:
Ok, in the local craigslist a Dana44 has been listed. The guy only wants $50 for it, I'm thinking about picking it up for my MJ build which is slowly but surely coming along. It would be replacing the Dana35 that is currently in the truck. The only thing the person knows about it is that its possibly from an AMC or international and is a 6bolt hub. Does anyone know if there are any Dana44's to stay away from? would it be possible to convert the hubs on this to 5x4.5 with the same offset as the dana30 currently on my mj? (I already have a set of black rockcrawlers I would like to keep). I realize that i'm hasta here, due to the somewhat unique situation I hope i'm not being too much of a typical Noob.

Thanks
Tom
If it's a 6 bolt (wheel pattern?) then, I doubt that it came off of an International, they're 5 on 5 1/2 same as 1/2 ton Ford and Jeep CJs (as well as Suzuki Samurais). It probably came off of a 1/2 ton Jeep Truck or Wagoneer/Cherokee---------Hans

workaholic said:

Thanks
Tom

Heh, you saw that one too? I was thinking about it, just for the cheap price. Might want to call him and ask if its not an offset one. If it is from a an IH Scout ll, it might be narrower, but run wheel lug adapters, and that should space it out to somewhat match the front.

12GAXJ said:
Heh, you saw that one too? I was thinking about it, just for the cheap price. Might want to call him and ask if its not an offset one. If it is from a an IH Scout ll, it might be narrower, but run wheel lug adapters, and that should space it out to somewhat match the front.

do you think it might be too narrow? Isn't the factory xj/mj width 60"?

Thanks
Tom

workaholic said:
do you think it might be too narrow? Isn't the factory xj/mj width 60"?

Thanks
Tom

If it is from a Scout ll, its around 58" WMS IIRC(correct me if Im wrong). Wouldn't hurt to buy it, or even ask him to measure before heading up to Seattle. If its form a IH travelall or truck, it may be wider. Not too sure on that info yet.

12GAXJ said:
If it is from a Scout ll, its around 58" WMS IIRC(correct me if Im wrong). Wouldn't hurt to buy it, or even ask him to measure before heading up to Seattle. If its form a IH travelall or truck, it may be wider. Not too sure on that info yet.
Well i'm gonna give him a call tommorow and if its still there check it out on sat while i'm NW auto wrecking in W. seattle getting some parts for the MJ and see if there are any valuable BMW parts there to grab for cheap.

Thanks for the help.
Tom

Sorry to burst you bubble, but the IH axles are more work to fit as the caster is wrong for Jeep operation and would need to be rotated as well as shortened. this would negate any savings you got from the 50 dollar initial cost.

Its easier to get a set of D44 grand waggy axles.

CW

cwlongshot said:
Sorry to burst you bubble, but the IH axles are more work to fit as the caster is wrong for Jeep operation and would need to be rotated as well as shortened. this would negate any savings you got from the 50 dollar initial cost.

CW

No no problem at all, I want to know this stuff. If its gonna be more work than its worth than I dont want to invest the time and $$ into it.

5-90: what code should I be looking for in order for this Dana 44 to be out of a Waggy? or is that not possible because its a 6bolt hub?

Thanks
Tom

workaholic said:
No no problem at all, I want to know this stuff. If its gonna be more work than its worth than I dont want to invest the time and $$ into it.

5-90: what code should I be looking for in order for this Dana 44 to be out of a Waggy? or is that not possible because its a 6bolt hub?

Thanks
Tom

I don't recall - and I'm still coding some Jeep D44 axles anyhow, so I may not have seen all of them yet. I believe most of them ran 60yyyy-z or 60yyyy-zz, but that would cover some 80% of the BoM numbers anyhow.

It's pretty much a matter of find the BoM number and give with that, then I can look for it, and let you know what I can find out from there.

5-90

cwlongshot said:

CW

I think we are talking about a REAR D44 here, so there shouldn't be a caster issue... The 58: quote for a Scout II above is right, and it should be 63" if it is from an IH truck, which is also workable. But, if it is from a Scout 800, no worky, as they are like 56.5", too narrow to fit XJ spring pads on it. I ran a Scout II D44 for a while and it is a good swap. Watch out for the stock track lok diff in early 70's scouts though, as they have a tendency to crumble with age... ask me how I know.:wierd:

5-90: Thats ok, I was just curious if you happen to know.

xj-grin: glad to hear it. I was debating on just keeping the dana 35 under there and seeing how well it does as I am NOT someone who would be wheeling it hard. Too much of a wuss/afraid of body damage I guess.....:rolleyes:

Anywho I'm going to go and check it out tommorow, measure the width and if its 60"+ from end of tube to end of tube then I'll buy it. I mean heck even if I dont use It I know I could get my money back out of it.

Tom

CanMan said:
Jeez guys, pay attention. If it's a six lug wheel pattern, then, it's NOT a Scout axle. The only six lug rear D44, to my knowledge, came under fullsize Jeeps (SJ) and 1/2 ton (J) trucks. Here, for your reading pleasure: http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d44.html Also, in case anybody is interested, some 1/2 ton Travelalls came with 5 bolt D60s ----------Hans

Last edited:
Oatmeal said:
Jeez guys, pay attention. If it's a six lug wheel pattern, then, it's NOT a Scout axle. The only six lug rear D44, to my knowledge, came under fullsize Jeeps (SJ) and 1/2 ton (J) trucks. Here, for your reading pleasure: http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d44.html Also, in case anybody is interested, some 1/2 ton Travelalls came with 5 bolt D60s ----------Hans

Cool, must not have read the post throughly. :rolleyes: Poster said it may have been out of an International or AMC. Took it as that.

CanMan said:
Cool, must not have read the post throughly. :rolleyes: Poster said it may have been out of an International or AMC. Took it as that.

All the person selling the D44 knows about it is that he was told that it might be out of a AMC or International.

Oatmeal: Thanks! based on reading that, its probably out of a waggy and has a good potential for 30 spline shafts! Since that was the only 6lug hub that was mentioned as well as, the same year that waggy's went to 6lug the corresponding D44 went to 30 spline shafts.

Thanks
Tom

Ok, so I went and checked it out today. ended up purchasing it. Based on the article that is linked earlier in this thread by oatmeal. I have determined that this is a Dana44 out of a 74+ wagoneer widetrack. Its a 6x5.5 lug pattern, factory LSD, measures ~63" from outside of drum to outside of drum and SUA. Not bad for $50, not bad at all.

Tom

workaholic said:
Ok, so I went and checked it out today. ended up purchasing it. Based on the article that is linked earlier in this thread by oatmeal. I have determined that this is a Dana44 out of a 74+ wagoneer widetrack. Its a 6x5.5 lug pattern, factory LSD, measures ~63" from outside of drum to outside of drum and SOA. Not bad for $50, not bad at all.

Tom

Back