• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Idle (tried to search but parse error)

BIG1RED9

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I am new to Jeeps and so I don't know what is right vs wrong. Also I have attempted to search but get a parse error message.

My newly acquired 87 Wagoneer Limited with a 4.0 was running really bad. Turned out to be a cracked head. Once repaired with a head, lifters and plugs, cap and rotor, it failed smog.
Symptoms were an gentle erratic idle, low RPM (feeling like it would stall)

I changed the Idle Air Control, Oxygen sensor and the MAPS. The above issue now seem gone but I have a slight shake to the engine that can be felt in the cockpit.

I noted that the new Idle Air Control called for it to be adjusted. That the pintal be no more than 1 /24" more the base of the flange to the tip. Mine was at about 1". Being it only said not to exceed and did not have a value for a minimum, I put it in.

Thanks for any help!
Don

My 1989 4.0 exhibited very low choppy rpm, lack of power and very high fuel consumption when I snapped of the Intake air temp sensor in the intake manifold,so make sure its plugged in and working.Also check your map sensor and the vacuum line between it and your throttle body. good luck

Back