• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weak heat. gunna flush

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
i now have very very weak heat in my 96 sport. it used to blow good but it seems to now blow as hot anymore. i plan to flush the heater core. can anyone explain the easiest and cleanest way to do this. pics would be great! thanks!

Disconnect these two hoses that are circled.
With a garden hose, spray water into each side of the heater core (not the hoses).
Observe mass quantities of brown junk come out.
Reconnect Hoses.

122268.jpg

okay, thats allot easier than i thaught it was going to be. will i lose alot of fluid like this? i have a gallon to refill. will this be enough?

When you pull the hoses be carefull to twist the hose to break the seal, and pull straight off; no side to side or up/down on the pipes. It would be a heartbreak to change the core because a solder joint broke.
I don't know how much coolant these cores hold, but you can fill it before putting the hoses back on and tell us all.

Are you sure that the coolant level is high enough
I have a small leak in my radiator and when the heat stops blowing hot is the indication that the coolant level is low
fill it back up to normal and the heat blows hot
the heater core/lines is the highest point in the system, so it is the first to loose coolant
-Adam

i just fluched it. it seems to be a little hotter but not what it was. i agree that low coolant level could do this. but its filled now. when i take off the cap w/ no pressure the collant is right at the top and the bottle is just about on full. should the bottle be full with or with out pressure?? could a bad cap be the cause of this also.

and when i flushed it a bunch of orange rusty crap came out but the heat ddint blow that much hotter

here is what worked for me. i connected two hoses to the heater core and alternated between flushing each side until clear water came out. then i mixed up some radiator flush and poured down the upper hose until it came out the lower hose. let that sit for 20 to 30 min. drain the heater core and re flush. doing this i went from luke warm to i have to turn down the heat!

Well, I flushed my radiator....and I had a leak in it not too long after.

Now, a heater core is like a mini radiator....flush it, and I wonder what might happen.

What year, how many miles?

Of course, mine is a 95 with nearly 180k

True that, my grandma's heater core went on her 1980 Oldsmobile Royale Brougham.....less than 60 thousand miles of course. About $350.00 to do the job, after I got her a new core from AutoZone

I'm not flushing my heater core though for that reason. My heat is fine......although some day it will break a leak probably.

The Oldsmobile's heater core has been leaking for 2 long ass years, but I never could find out what the leak was.....until recently it occured more and I could really see the green color in the leak on the floor.......she kept a cardboard under it so it would absorb the color and it just looked like oil. Funny thing, how it can leak for 2 years and you wouldn't know where it was coming from until it opened up more!

The chemical flush removes any residue that may be currently sealing minor leaks. Kind of like changing tranny fluid or using engine flush on high mileage systems; remove the crud, you find out how dregraded things really are.

I have flushed my heater core as regular maintenence every two years, and my heater core is still fine, This is on an '88, so flushing wont ruin your heater core, not maintaining your system will do it.

And if you flush your system, Flush your heater core seperately at first and the radiator seperate, then when they are both clean hook everything up and do a backflush with chemicals and you will not have problems and your cooling/heater system will out preform your expectations.

Back