• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caddy Compressor for ARB.... What size relay and wire

I am wiring up my Caddy compressor for my arb, I have all the parts and ordered an ARB pressure switch so its the right pressure, but I need to do the wiring which I have no idea what size wire to use and relay.. I dont like electrical fires, but also dont want to run wire any bigger that needed. what size wire have yall used?

Find out what size fuse Cadillac uses in it's fuse block and that should tell you---------Hans

Last edited:
well I have no idea what year caddy it came out of or model to find this out

You are probably safe with 10 gauge wire. I wouldn't imagine you would need any more than that. I'm also using a 40 amp relay. Here's my diagram from my write-up http://www.ericsxj.com/oba.htm
wiring01.jpg

twisted_ed said:
well I have no idea what year caddy it came out of or model to find this out
Is there any wiring, at all, left on the compressor and if so, that should be the guage you would need but, I myself would run a heavier guage wire anyway for a safety margin--------Hans

Yes there is wiring but that is wired for under the hood, near the battery, I will be mouting this underneath the back seat where my tire jack used to be, so I need to know the amp draw so I can calculate the proper distance to the battery which is alot farther making it need much thicker wire. somthing like in the caddy it was 3 feet from the battery so a run of 6 feet vs 6 or 7 feet from my batters makig it a 12-14 foot run, making the wire size a hell of alot bigger.

twisted_ed said:
Yes there is wiring but that is wired for under the hood, near the battery, I will be mouting this underneath the back seat where my tire jack used to be, so I need to know the amp draw so I can calculate the proper distance to the battery which is alot farther making it need much thicker wire. somthing like in the caddy it was 3 feet from the battery so a run of 6 feet vs 6 or 7 feet from my batters makig it a 12-14 foot run, making the wire size a hell of alot bigger.
...which is why I went with 10 gauge for mine mounted in the back. The instructions called for 16 AWG minimum. Get some 10 gauge wire and compare that to whats on there now. Its sure to be a lot thicker.

Well then I guess I'll probably use 10 gauge

im about to install a caddy compressor to inflate tires and under the seat seems like a good place, could you post some pics when your done. thanks

A buddy of mine picked up a couple of compressors from the junkyard (GM used them in a few other vehicles as well), has them hooked up in tandem and they seem to put out a decent amount of volume. He built an air tank out of ABS pipe (he's a plumber.....go figure) that's at least 3 gals and the pressure climbs pretty quick so, I'm pretty sure they'd be up to the task of tire inflation---------Hans

aussiewheeler said:
im about to install a caddy compressor to inflate tires and under the seat seems like a good place, could you post some pics when your done. thanks

hopefully Ill get it done this week. I already cut one mounting tab off of the bracket rewelded it higher to tilt the compressor flat with the seat... pics will be up sometime for sure

I ran a couple of these a few years back IIRC I used 10g wire and 30-40 amp relay for the pair. with a tank it was marginal for filling tires (35") but I'm sure on par with similiar electrics.

curious to see how you connected the air line.

According to a fella on a Caddy forum it is a 30A fuse. Most people agree that a 1/2 a volt is the min acceptable drop for 15 feet of wire. So using a 10AWG wire would be perfect. If your going to run two I would step up to 6AWG (rated for a little over 80A@15'). Don't forget to fuse it as close to the battery as possible.

Back