• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 and 97 AW4 same?

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 AW4. I was just wondering if the 97 and 92 AW4 are the same length.
Reason being is that i took the 231 out of the 92 and put it on my 97. I had the lift and t-case with the wack and tap SYE and custom driveshaft on the 92 and swapped everything over including the rear 8.25. So if the trannys were dif length then i would have to get a new drive shaft right? Un fortunately i sold the other jeep so i cant measure. Does some one know the differences?:eeks1:

5.5 RE lift with wack and tap SYE with custom driveshaft.

all AW4's are the same dimensionally.
The only differences through the years were some minor electrical changes.

I picked up a tranny from a 2000 and I just bought a '94 XJ. Should I expect any problems putting the 2000 tranny in the 94? Also, any major differences between a 2wd auto and a 4wd auto? Sorry to hijack, but I figured I'd ask while we were on the topic...

Capt. Nemo said:
I picked up a tranny from a 2000 and I just bought a '94 XJ. Should I expect any problems putting the 2000 tranny in the 94? Also, any major differences between a 2wd auto and a 4wd auto? Sorry to hijack, but I figured I'd ask while we were on the topic...

hey the only thing you should really worry about is the neutral start switch u have to get the one off the 91 to 96 model thats the electrical diff that i know bout hope it helps

The electrical plug from the 2000 is different from the 94 (97up, 96down), but that can be fixed with a little splicing. The speed sensor in the transmission is different, and I've heard instances of it not working and it working, which I can not explain.

BrettM said:
The electrical plug from the 2000 is different from the 94 (97up, 96down), but that can be fixed with a little splicing. The speed sensor in the transmission is different, and I've heard instances of it not working and it working, which I can not explain.

The rear speed sensor is indeed different. In mid-1996 (I believe with the ODBII change), the AW4 added a front input shaft speed sensor and the rear speed sensor changed to putting out 4-pulses/rev instead of 1-pulse/rev. The rear speed sensor got shorter as part of this change and the older sensor will not even fit all the way in fit in the mounting hole. It also changed from a magnetic type switch to an inductive pickup-type sensor. This is the reason you should try to keep the same year tranny computer and wiring harness. Looking at the FSM, it looks like you can open the rear of the tranny, swap the rotor on the output shaft and use the other sensor to get back to a 1-pulse/rev to run with your older trans computer (or vice versa).

Length, dimensions and 23-spline count did not change over the years.

NSS is the same except the connector changed in 97 as well. You can cut/splice the connector if you need to.

2wd version and 4wd version are rather different. It's a major teardown to change the output shaft. Best bet is to get the one you need instead of trying to swap parts.

-Chris
(running a 99 AW4 in my 89 MJ)

Back