• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Ignition Problem

apsdad

Cherokee Madness
Vehicle: 96 XJ with 4.0, AW4. New plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor.
We went to Harlan County, KY, for our annual Andy Solomon Memorial Trail Ride. We did a night run, and I had the A/C on. About 20 minutes in (after a 20 minute ride to the trail head), it just quit and the Check engine light came on. The engine was hot (probably 225). There was no spark. We tried a couple things without results. The code scanner said there was a temperature problem. After they connected the tow strap, I tried it and it fired right up and I had no problem.
Here's the weird part. On both of the next two days' rides the same thing happenned. I made sure I didn't overheat. We drove 20 minutes on highway, and 20 t0 30 minutes of trail, and it died. After about 20 minutes, I could start it up. There was no check engine light on these two days. After that, it ran fine for the next 7 hours, including some hill climbs. Temperatures never got above 210. I have a switch on the electric fan.
Is it possible I cooked the ignition coil? or is there another problem?

CPS sensor. As they get problematic, they also get sensitive to temp. You might try unplugging and cleaning the sensor connector first. Do a search on CPS sensor for more info.

Back