• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Evaporator Replacement... what is best ?

motroutmo

NAXJA Forum User
My ac housing is destroyed and Evaporator is leaking (loud hiss when charged). It was munched in an accident and duct-taped back together. Funny how the last owner never mentioned it :(.

So I need to replace the Lower AC Housing and Evaporator. Now the lower housing alone is $75-$102 at the dealerships I've checked. Add in an Evaporator and Heater Core (might as well replace them both while I have the dash out) and the cost is up around $300-$400. I think 97 and 98 evaporators are interchangeable. I've heard a lot about 98's being terrible - leaking all the time - but I have not heard a lot about 97's. I have the opportunity to get a whole AC Housing unit with evaporator and heater core for my '98 for $175. This is less than a replacement evaporator at most places.

This is for my 98 DD with 3" lift. Wife is already pissed about amount of $$ I've dumped into this jeep.

1) Are 97 evaps better than the infamous '98's ?
2) If I go the used route, should I go with the 97 or 98 parts?
3) Would 99 or 2000 parts work?

Thanks in advance. Trying to get this back together b4 the 4th of July weekend so I can take my boys wheeling at Flat Nasty in Salem MO.

Back