• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oem tire carrier

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know the weight limit on the factory swing out spare tire carrier??
and
how can i beef it up to carry a 33" tire (since i know it is above oem specs)

and if anyone can post pics of there factory tire carrier with or without a tire mounted and please specify the tire size

THANKS
Pete

Last edited:
What brand of tire? If it is a tire that is carried at tirerack.com, when you do a comparison, it will usually show the weight of the tire. I would guess the rim is around 8-12 pounds .... the tire around 40-55 pounds ... so I would guess that this tire would push the external carrier about as far as I would want to ...

ive seen a 35 on one. (but the same XJ was runnin 35's on a block and spacer lift with bushwackers to barely clear, only jeep ive ever seen or heard of breaking down haha)

I ran a 31 Baja Claw on an OEM bumper mount carrier for about a year. As I recall wheel and tire weighed in around 58 pounds. The carrier was showing a fair amount of stress after that time so I moved to C4x4 carrier.

Kent :spin3:

ok

new question

will a 31/10.5/15 A/T on a steel wheel be a sutiable spare for a set of 33/12.5/15 MT's and will it hold on my tire carrier ok?

THANKS
pete

I just crossed the Rubicon with a modified OEM carrier holding a 31x10.5 and a high lift jack. I did modify the carrier. I added large washers to each pivot bolt so if the bearing pulled out the carrier wouldnt come off. I also cut the box that mounts the tire diagonally, flipped it and welded in back in place. This raised the tire about 7 inches. I then added a trapezoidal brace from the back of the box to the upper tube on the swing out arm and then added a large tire skid plate that ran from the bottom tube up at about a 45 degree angle. I used the skid several times when comming off of waterfalls. I adjusted mine so it latched very tightly and then adjusted the "bump stop" agains the tailgate so it compressed the rubber when the carrier was latched. I then added a high lift mount to carry the high lift vertically on the bottom tube.

Bottom line. It worked great and didnt loosen up. XJ is tail heavy but thats the price you pay for a tire on a carrier. Load up accordingly. The photo is a bit small but copy it an zoom in. Red XJ on the left with the carrier open. You will get the idea.

RubiconTrip123.jpg

John

nosigma, did you add anything for strength where it mounts to the 1/4 sheetmetal? mine was an add on but i used the stock inner brace and she still flexes a bit when in the open position. I have had a 33 on a steelie for a year now,still happy

Back