• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get a Thermostat gasket.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the local autoparts store to buy a new thermostat. i was told by the parts guy that they do not make a gasket. He gave me a piece of gasket material to try and make my own. Is this true that they don't make one?? Does anyone have a template?

Can't recall where I got mine but I'm fairly certain it was NAPA. Might have been the dealer though.

-river

I get mine at O'Reilly's, I think they're $.83 each. Keep looking around, your parts store isn't being helpful.

newjeepowner said:
Should some kind of sealant be used?
Yes chances are it will leak if you don't. Don't use RTV in conjunction with the gasket though, just use a good gasket sealant.

I disagree with that. I did my waterpump, t stat, housing, hoses, radiator about a year ago. 3 months ago I noticed a leak at the bottom of the t stat housing and the top of the pump. I pulled them off again to look at it. Both were pitted in the area of the leak.

I got new gaskets and I ended up getting a new housing as well. I used a very thin layer of RTV on both sides of both gaskets. I never realized that RTV came in corrosive brands and non-corrosive ones. The corrosive ones will do harm to aluminum and that's what I used originally. I know others will debate and that's cool.

Felpro makes a precut gasket, should run you less than $2 at the local.

I tend to use a thin layer of RTV black to help the gasket seal - the gasket provides the main strength and "body" of the seal, while the RTV helps to fill in any irregularities. No need to get silly with the stuff, just a good, even coat on both sides. Also, a little RTV will help to hold the gasket in place while you stick it down.

5-90

Leave that parts place alone. I know AZ carries them. I bought one there once. I recently had a leaking one and only having one vehicle at home I headed to the workbench and made one in about 10 minutes. A little RTV on both sides and all is well. I like to keep gasket material around "For, for just such an emergency"--Foghorn Leghorn.:laugh3:

I made my own gasket since PepBitches didnt have one.

Maybe I'm just gettin old but I've been making my own for over 20 years and always use RTV. Pappy taught me that the best thermostat gasket material is a Yellow or White pages cover. Just cut square a peice big enoug to cover the hole, stick it on with a little RTV and tap the edges with the plastic end of an old screwdriver. The metal on the housing is usually sharp enought to actually cut the paper to the exact shape you need. Cut the screw holes and trim it an exacto knife. Put RTV on both sides of your new gasket and put her back together. Done this at 5+ times in the last 20 or so years and NEVER on the same vehicle twice - no leaks.

Just my $.02

mo

Back