• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal Cancel / Clockspring Question

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
My turn signal doesn't cancel when I have my right turn blinker on. It's been like that for years and I don't care about turning it off myself, but now I have to get it fixed to get past this crazy Maryland inspections. The dealer looked at it a long time ago and said it would cost about $100 for the turn signal cancel cam. I just looked in the 2000 FSM and it says the cancel cam is part of the clock spring, which is about $300 if you have cruise control. Did the dealer screw up on the part quote or what? Anyone ever do this fix and can tell me how hard it is?

I can't get over how picky the MD inspections are....ahhhh!

I repaired my '98 Sport's multi-function switch just a few months ago. If you have the Factory Service Manual, the section is under 8J-5. I found the part on Ebay, brand new for about $50 plus shipping. This was one of the easier and rewarding fixes I've done. I hated not having the turn signal return and forgetting to turn it off.

I don't believe your problem is with the clockspring.

Doug

Which part did you have to buy? The lever itself with the little bump that the clock spring pushes on to cancel?

Trying to find the page you are talking about, but getting confused with multiple versions of the 00 manual...

EDIT: Found the page, but it just talks about the combination flasher and other electrical components. The turn signal cancel is purely a mechanical system. I'm totally confused by your post....

Last edited:
Thayer,

The part you are looking for is the "Multi-Function Switch", not the clockspring. It is the turn signal stalk with a mechanical cancelling cam that contains the turn signal switch and hazard warning switch. In the FSM it is under "Turn Signal and Hazard Warning System" section. There is even a picture of the exact part that shows the control stalk, hazard warning button and cancel actuator. I believe I found the part at jeepsareus.com. I really recomend getting the Factory Service Manual for your year Jeep.

That's it! I was just on their website looking for it. Just one side didn't cancel, for right turns.

When you replace it, you do not need to remove the steering wheel, just the kick plates and plastic pieces surrounding the steering column. It really is an easy fix. Play it safe and disconnect the battery.

Thanks for the info fairhopexj. Do you know what exactly was broken on the multifunction lever assembly? I can't picture what could break to make only right turns not cancel.

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't had time to tear into things.

Thayer,

The cancel actuator button was broken. Once I removed the part I couldn't really tell why it didn't work except what looked like a 10 cent piece of plastic. You may be able to save a few dollars and find this part at a pick and pull junk yard.

Glad to help.

Back