• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T with valve in fuel line for filling gas cans?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, let me explain before ya flame!!

This is just an idea, hoping you guys can help me with the mechanics of it all.

Here are my orig thoughts, have a line with a valve that comes off of a T off supply fuel line, with a power switch run to fuel pump relay. It can be used to fill gas cans, lawn mower, power washer, boat, generator for camping, OTHER jeeps that run out on trail, etc, etc. No more carrying 5 gal gas cans to gas station inside my jeep!

Now, concerns/questions are what type of hose to use? It would be cool to have a quick disconnect of some sort inside fuel filler lid and a switch next to it. Then have a line to connect to it to use to fill stuff. Would that be to much pressure? Could install a cheap 7lb pump, but I wonder if the jeep fuel pump would free flow without being on?

I have a 97 XJ.

Why, I like gizmo/gadget kinda stuff.

When someone is out of gas, I can give em a few gallons.
I don't need to carry gas cans to gas station anymore.
Now I could fill a lawn mower, jet ski/boat, power washer, camping generator... no need to carry seperate gas can for generator.

I guess if ya gotta ask why, then it's not for you. It's just an idea, wanted to see how hard it would be to make it happen.

Ralph said:
Explain the why part again.
having trouble reading? to fill gas cans. I've never had to siphon gas out of my Jeep, but I've seen enough other people need to that I can understand the desire.

seems straight forward enough, put a splitter valve in, run some gas hose to a conveinent spot (next to the gas filler would probably be good), and run some wiring to manually send power to the fuel pump.... I can't think of any concerns, but maybe someone else will.

aside from the convenience of being a rolling gas pump... do you really have a realistic NEED for such a set-up? i figure if you do enough lawn care and such you should have a trailer to drag it all around anyways..

sounds like a firebomb waiting to happen...

sidriptide said:
aside from the convenience of being a rolling gas pump... do you really have a realistic NEED for such a set-up? i figure if you do enough lawn care and such you should have a trailer to drag it all around anyways..

sounds like a firebomb waiting to happen...

Firebomb??? Come on, it's just a Tee for gas- how does this become a "firebomb".

I don't know that the wiring would be hard either, doesn't the fuel pump pressurize the line when the key is turned on? Just open the valve and turn on the key, the pump will run till you close the valve and allow the main line to become pressurized again.

Hell, if the feature will make your life even a little easier, go for it. I don't see an issue (or potential "firebomb").

SCW said:
Firebomb??? Come on, it's just a Tee for gas- how does this become a "firebomb".

it doesnt take much of a static electric spark to ruin your day.. if you feel comfortable doing it go for it.... dispensing fuel can at times create its own static charge..

i wouldnt do it..

Personally, I'd just carry a gas can. Is it really that much of a hassle? As it is my rig goes through more gas then it can carry, I don't need to help emptying the tank...

If you really feel the need to fill a gas can off your rig's gas, why not just use the pressure release valve on the fuel rail? Replace the assembly that's in there that you normally depress to release the pressure with some kind of valve and have a fitting that you can just shove a chunk of fuel line on with a hose clamp. When you need to fill a tank or something, attach the fuel line, stick it into whatever you're filling, and open the valve. You'd just need to have the rig running or the fuel pump going on it's own to keep pressure in the line. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Run a manual switch to the fuel pump relay. Then build a hose that will attach to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. No modifying of the stock fuel system at all. Be careful though at 45PSI that shit will squirt a long freakin way lol.

The State Patrol cars in the 70's used to have a setup like that to help stranded motorists. Since the late 70's cruisers around here no longer have the ability to supply emergency fuel.

It seems to me that back then your average fuel pressure was at most 7psi on an engine driven pump. Most were 4-6psi. It also seems to me that the fuel rail pressure on a cherokee is much higher than that to get a good spray from the injectors.

I guess I wouldn't do it, but it sounded like a nice idea :)

The highway patrol cars around here have a method of fueling like that.

Gee, the guy was asking a legitimate question and he gets hammered!

Heres a good reason I bumped into today. Electric goes out due to storm, generator needs more fuel than in its tank, gas run would take 1.5 hr, if the road isnt closed, used the spare can, the only available is in the vehicle. Gosh it would be nice to fuel the gen from the vehicle tank.

To say nothing of transfering fuel to another vehicle in your group to get him out at the end of the trip (cans empty).

The fuel presure could be a little scary trying to fill small tanks with. The ISP cars here just carry a hand pumped siphon to help stranded motorist. I would look into that option because it's just as easy IMO and doesn't deal with the high preasure of the fuel system. If you do try this make sure to use fuel injection rated fuel line.

The presure is not a problem as long as you do not restrict the flow. The volume is not that much to turn a hose into a spray nozzle. There will be alot when you first tap the line, but once you are flowing it will just come out about trice as fast as a pour. I have done this for draining a tank before droping it, just like said above hook up to the shrader valve on the rail and hot wire to pump. I have thought of puting in somthing more conveneant to use this for transfering from my 32 gal tank but have not yet. The items I would be concernd about is somone tampering with it and you drive off and pour all your gas on the ground, haveing a valve leak and doing the same. So what ever you do make sure to cap the line even with a valve. and mabye run the line back into you fill hose so if it leaks, it just goes back in the tank.
Also some howto secure it so it is not just an easy way for somone to steal all your gas.

Lots of great points. I figured I would get some ribbing, but hey, thats OK.

does anyone know if I opened a valve at some point and hit the ignition switch to "on" would the pump stay on trying to get pressure, or does it just stay of for a few seconds?

Thanks for the idea's so far.

The pump only runs for a preset amount of time, there is no fuel pressure sensor for the pump. Your best bet is going to be to just hot wire the pump via the relay.

I would build you a hose with a valve thats easy to turn on and off and make it all attach to the schrader valve fitting. This way your fuel system is completly stock. YOu can also just leave your pump running and turn the fuel on and off with the valve. Since the fuel is regulated and returned all in the tank this won't cause any problems with the pump running without the motor running. Just my poorly worded .02

x2 you'd have to hotwire the relay to a switch since the pump only kicks for a few seconds when you first turn the key on, and the engine won't run if you just open up the end of the line to a tank(no pressure for proper flow through injectors) .

Interesting idea, but not very practical. I think it is potentially dangerous and could perhaps even cause early fuel pump demise.

goodburbon said:
x2 you'd have to hotwire the relay to a switch since the pump only kicks for a few seconds when you first turn the key on, and the engine won't run if you just open up the end of the line to a tank(no pressure for proper flow through injectors) .

Interesting idea, but not very practical. I think it is potentially dangerous and could perhaps even cause early fuel pump demise.

Actually the engine should run most likely. Remember the fuel regulator is always returning fuel if the fuel system is healthy it should do just fine. I know my fuel pressure guage has a bypass to simulate a WOT condition. It has a hose off the the guage that you run into a fuel jug by pressing a button. The fuel pressure will drop for just a second but it comes back up to stock while bypassing fuel into the jug. The schrader valve is a pretty small orifice anyways.

Back