• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which is easier to replace

lrsmithwhaley

NAXJA Forum User
I got a u-joint going out on the front driveshaft and was curious which was easier to replace.
1. The entire front drive shaft
2. Just one u-joint.

Wasn't thinking...my brain didn't think about the fact that I would have to remove the driveshaft to replace the u-joint.

A new u-joint costs around $20 and new drive shaft costs around $300. Also, u-joints aren't hard to replace. Google is your friend. Do a Google search using "How to replace a u-joint" as your search parameter. You will be amazed at the number of well written and illustrated instructional web pages you'll find. If you have more questions after reading the instructions, let us know.

Ralph said:
A new u-joint costs around $20 and new drive shaft costs around $300. Also, u-joints aren't hard to replace. Google is your friend. Do a Google search using "How to replace a u-joint" as your search parameter. You will be amazed at the number of well written and illustrated instructional web pages you'll find. If you have more questions after reading the instructions, let us know.
I am buying a used driveshaft with good u-joints for $15.

buy the used shaft, put it in, keep the old shaft as a spare. Put new u-joints in it at your leisure.
It's really easy, if you want an easier method than using a hammer and sockets then go rent a balljoint tool, it makes cake work of u joints.

For the time and effort involved, I'd still replace the u-joint. The only way to really know that the joint on the used shaft is good is to remove and inspect it. By then, might as well put in a new one. Would possibly make a good spare though.

JMHO

Back