• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading stock axles

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
right now Ive got the RE4.5 inch kit with 33's and I'm starting to worry about my axles (dana30, 8.25) mostly the front. I was talking to a guy thats big into jeeps yesterday and he said something about my hubs and how weak they are. do you guys know anything about this? also what do you guys suggest I upgrade, as everything right now is stock. the very first thing is I'm going to put 4.56's in but after that what should I do to beef them up. I don't plan on going bigger than 33's for a long time. any help would be appreciated.

the hubs arent a particular weak point.. the axle shafts and front U-joints are more prone to failure than the hubs.. hubs fail because they just wear out..

1. Many many many threads covering this topic.

2. There are a few different versions of those 2 axles, what you need to do will depend on what particular axles you have. (d-30: disconnect or non disconnect?) (8.25: 27 or 29 spline?)

3. If your axles are stock you don't have hubs and your friend is ignorant.

On the XJ I call those unit bearings and I have not found them to be particularly weak. My Cj-5 had hubs, an altogether different design.

Edit: as a definition I see your point, a hub is something around which something else rotates. But in 4wd front end terms I tend to think of hubs as slang for "lockout hubs" which is a part that is considered the weak link in several different axles and why I said that stock xj's don't have them. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
im not sure on the disconnect or non disconnect, its a 97, so its got the 29 spline rear. based on what you guys are telling me, Im just going to upgrade u-joints in the front and carry some extra shafts when I go wheeling (which isn't that often and not very extreme stuff either) what about the rear axle?

hey both your axles are fine, and you dont need to uppgrade, your u joints you already have the 760 joints.

I heard the 4.56's were better for on road mileage anyways, also I read that when regearing from somewhere in the 3's to 4's you need a new carrier, where do you buy those?

Back