• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Evaporator on my 98. Need Help

motroutmo

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I searched for over an hour and could not find the answer so here goes.

My 98 has an evaporator leak. I know this because when I charged it a month ago, I could actually hear it hissing from behind the dash. I almost cried when I realized how big a PITA this was gonna be to fix...

So, this morning I decided to start removing every screw I could find to pull the dash and get to the heater core/evaporator in my jeep. Got the dash mostly out of the way and even have the 5 heater/ac unit retainer nuts removed under the hood so the whole unit is ready to come out. I am ready to pull the heater hoses but before I do, I want to disconnect the AC lines from the evaporator (under the hood) and I can't get them apart. I pulled off the slip-on locking clips but the lines won't come apart. I've never done this before. Is there a trick to this or a special tool I need?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Motroutmo

+++ It's a Cherokee thing... Chrysler Doesn't Understand +++

I think there is a disconnecting tool, I remember seeing a kit that covers the major manufacturers for like $8 or so, has a scissors looking tool with color coded inserts....

Yea, seen them in with the tools at advanced and a few other parts stores, usually opposite end from sockets and such, lower down on the totem pole so to speak... they are not real big, maybe 3 inches long...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...tom-0/p-2004204/N-111+10214+600011335/c-10114

JC whitney part number ZX037317Y that was the only picture I could find, the kit has a section of collars for various makes I guess.

Last edited:
Got one today. Got the lines disconnected. Pulled the whole Heater/AC unit 5 minutes ago. Entire bottom half of the cowling is cracked beyond repair from previous accident. Previous owner knew because it was duck taped but never seemed to mention it when we discussed vehicle condition... Now I'm looking for an evaporator, heater core, cowling, and the previous owner :flamemad: (who is somewhere in Topeka) !

Thanks for all your help!

check rockauto.com super fast shipping and the best prices on those kind of parts...

Back