• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj sports with leather?

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 99 cherokee sport and its got black leather....ive never seen another one so im just wondering if mine could have been special ordered or had the seats put in from a limited or what

Probably an aftermarket deal. A friend of a friend had a leather interior fitted to their Honda minivan. The dealer contracted it to a local upholstery shop.

Den

does it have detached, ajustable headrests or are the seatbacks and headrests one unit? i've seen leather kits for sale over the years on ebay, basically you pull the old fabric off of the foam and slide this stuff on in its place, for like 200 bucks. could be one of those deals.
i'm not aware of any sports 97-01 coming from the factory with leather.
if its got detached headrests that are ajustable the previous owner probably just swapped in some limited/classic seats.

leather was an option, but the type of people buying sports weren't the type of people who'd typically want leather so they're kinda rare..................ya know, not to stereotype or anything haha

hence why more classics and limiteds can be found with leather

my yellow 2001 Sport has black leather seats with a yellow section where you sit and yellow stitching for the "Jeep" text for the front seats (one piece, fixed headrest). the rear bench seat has the same yellow section where you sit.

my sport also has power/heated mirrors, power locks (and keyfob), tinted windows, rear wiper + defrost, fog lights. not sure which of these weren't normally found on sport models, though. doesn't have an overhead console, kinda wish I knew what the "instant" MPG is when I'm on the highways.

I don't have any good interior pictures, I'll try to get one tomorrow if I remember...
IMG_5110.sized.jpg

Has anyone put leather seats from some other car in their XJ? The local U-Wreck-It sells all their seats for one price, and I'd like to up-grade the seats in my '01 Sport, but don't know what will fit. The XJ seats seem sorta small to me.

i did...i put the front leather seats out of a 2000 wj in mine

Fish'nCarz said:
Has anyone put leather seats from some other car in their XJ? The local U-Wreck-It sells all their seats for one price, and I'd like to up-grade the seats in my '01 Sport, but don't know what will fit. The XJ seats seem sorta small to me.

Most late-model Honda seats are supposedly a bolt-in. I'm still trying to decide what to do. 2-door Accords are easier to find than 2-door Cherokees!

My '05 Accord's seats certainly LOOK like they have the same mounting holes as my '00 Cherokee. However, the seatbelts bolt in differently. And I hate to "fake" a seatbelt anchor!

The Accord's seats are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more comfortable, IMHO!

Den

whatevah said:
my sport also has power/heated mirrors, power locks (and keyfob), tinted windows, rear wiper + defrost, fog lights. not sure which of these weren't normally found on sport models, though. doesn't have an overhead console, kinda wish I knew what the "instant" MPG is when I'm on the highways.

All of those are common. My dealer's common-stock '00 XJ Sports had all of that, minus the fogs, as a standard-order package.

I can't explain where your leather came from. It certainly was not available on a Sport in '00. We went thru ALL the option codes when I ordered mine. (I shoulda spent the extra $$$ for upcountry!) Same with the overhead console: optional on Classic, standard on Limited. Unavailable on SE or Sport.

Den

whatevah said:
my yellow 2001 Sport has black leather seats with a yellow section where you sit and yellow stitching for the "Jeep" text for the front seats (one piece, fixed headrest). the rear bench seat has the same yellow section where you sit.

I don't have any good interior pictures, I'll try to get one tomorrow if I remember...
IMG_5110.sized.jpg

Those are nice seats and you have a nice XJ. They look aftermarket/custom. I really like the yellow later model XJs with the black leather it looks great. ;)

DenLip said:
Most late-model Honda seats are supposedly a bolt-in. I'm still trying to decide what to do. 2-door Accords are easier to find than 2-door Cherokees!

My '05 Accord's seats certainly LOOK like they have the same mounting holes as my '00 Cherokee. However, the seatbelts bolt in differently. And I hate to "fake" a seatbelt anchor!

The Accord's seats are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more comfortable, IMHO!

Den

Please post some pics of the seats. Along with Grand Cherokee seats, these are a good option if you say they bolt in.

dont know if the seatbelts are different on an XJ than an MJ but i dont think so,
my seatbelts are mounted to the truck and arent tied into the seats at all... they shouldnt affect a seat swap. i know ive got buckets from a cherokee swapped in place of my bench.

Back