• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac quit working

coonassdevildog

NAXJA Forum User
ok my ac quit workin my clutch wont engae on the compressor my buddy said it could be because i need to recharge the system cause there mite not be enough pressure to trip the pressure switch i dunno but i checked the fuses and swapped relays around to test that and the relay is good if i put a jumper in i can get the pump to kick on but i don't want to do that help me out if u can cause i am in nc and its hot as hell here

have you tried goin to a local junkyard and looking for one in another jeep. it could have just went out on you. especially if if was making lots of noise before it stopped working. you can call eastern automotive and see if the have any 1-800-949-4101. and maybe there is enough pressure to trip the switch, but it might have worn out.

Add some freon to it, my wifes 1996 car didnt work for the first time ever this year...charged it up and working great now. Dont jumper it!

Same on my 98 XJ. When I bought it, the AC compressor wasn't working. I added 2 cans of Freon and it's blowing cold now. This is a temp fix right now because if it's running out of Freon, there is a leak in the system. I may be faced with the dreaded evaporator replacement.

dj's 2000 xj said:
Add some freon to it, my wifes 1996 car didnt work for the first time ever this year...charged it up and working great now. Dont jumper it!

start with a small amount of refridgerant .... the clutch will(should) come on and cycle quickly.. while the coompressor is running add more. Remember your low side reading is taken with compressor running...g'luck Mike

FSM says, 'more than 5 cycles of the compressor in a minute equals low charge'. Use the small can, once it's hooked up turn it upside down, it will empty the can faster.

you can jumper the low side switch to see if the clutch engages. This will tell you 1. its low on refrigerant or 2. the low side pressure switch is bad and 3. if the clutch or compressor is bad.

Back