• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Problem

FlamesFearMe

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a safe way to cut the hanger bolts for my leaking tank. It is an 88 and there is so much crap built up that I cannot get the nuts off and there is not much room to do anything with a hacksaw. Is there a way to safely get a grinder in there to shear them off without losing my face?

On my 90xj I had to hammer a socket on the nuts and just twisted the J bolts in half. They broke off pretty easily. Worse case if you can get the gas out fill the tank with water and cut away. A Dremel may work if ya got one?

Just do as Klonestar suggests and shear them off. It won't take much effort if you can get a socket or even a big vise grips on the nuts. In fact the real challenge is not shearing them off. If you can get a file in there, just file partway into the hangers and they'll shear very quickly at the weak spot.

Back