• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission temp gauge

Heepofajeep

NAXJA Forum User
After searching through here, I found quite a bit of information on where & how to install the temp gauge, but everyone seems to be using the same kit.

I was wondering if just a generic mechanical temp gauge [$20, like what is used to read radiator coolant temperature] would work, rather than having to spend $50 for the B&M gauge...

Thanks!

Check with Autozone, I got the B&M tranny temp guage for $42 and the Autometer single guage pod(specifically made for the XJ)for less than $30

Blue XJ said:
I wouldn't use a mechanical one, I would go electrical. The mechanical ones would route hot oil into the cab.

Heres a good writeup on installing one

http://www.jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/index.asp

Thanks for the link, I have actually come across it a few times now :eeks1: . I have used mechanical gauges for temp for many years & in many cars, so "hot oil" lol, is the least of my concerns. I am merely wondering why everyone is using a dedicated tranny temp gauge over just your run-of-the-mill temp gauge.

Yeah, I know it sounds retarded, but $42 as opposed to free is a lot to me right now. :cool:

Heepofajeep said:
Thanks for the link, I have actually come across it a few times now :eeks1: . I have used mechanical gauges for temp for many years & in many cars, so "hot oil" lol, is the least of my concerns. I am merely wondering why everyone is using a dedicated tranny temp gauge over just your run-of-the-mill temp gauge.

Yeah, I know it sounds retarded, but $42 as opposed to free is a lot to me right now. :cool:
I had the bright idea of putting another stock engine temp sensor in a tranny line and splice it into the stock guage with a DPDT switch so I could select which temp. it would display.... I never did get it to work, though I didn't troubleshoot it for more than 10 minutes. the temp sensor only has one wire out, so does the body need to be grounded? I tried taping a wire to it and the chassis to test that theory but it didn't help...

BrettM said:
I had the bright idea of putting another stock engine temp sensor in a tranny line and splice it into the stock guage with a DPDT switch so I could select which temp. it would display.... I never did get it to work, though I didn't troubleshoot it for more than 10 minutes. the temp sensor only has one wire out, so does the body need to be grounded? I tried taping a wire to it and the chassis to test that theory but it didn't help...
yes, the temp sensor is a variable resistor, and it needs to be grounded. Which is why you shouldn't use teflon tape on a temp sender :)

Back