• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i think my clutch is dying

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
its real hard to shift and sometimes when its in first and ive got the pedal to the floor it tries to dive itself do i need a new clutch

need some more info. year? exlplain a little more. Did you check fluid in the master cylinder

edit. im assuming its a MJ by the name and avatar, so the parts are at least 14 years old

its an 87 4.0 with the highly sought out Ba 10 that i just love so much

DansGreyMj said:
its an 87 4.0 with the highly sought out Ba 10 that i just love so much

The Peugeots can be rather goofy - I've been through three of them so far (I've put in more transmissions than clutches...)

The Peugeot uses aluminum synchronisers, which wear quickly (better gearboxes use bronze synchroniser rings,) and first, second, and reverse are the first gears to get goofy (since the reverse countershaft and idler gears seem to be not heat treated as well - I did a report on the internals of that gearbox for Materials and Processes, and the reverse idler gear tested 10 points lower on the Rockwell "C" scale, probably more.)

If it's your clutch, you'll have trouble with all your shifts, and not just first and reverse. Otherwise, it's probably the transmission. I've been able to score Peugeots as replacements from people who have upgraded - but I finally got my paws on an AX15 (thanks to Letterman and Capt. Nemo, Bravo Zulu guys!) so I should be able to get that seen to once and for all this coming week-end.

5-90

have you checked the fluid? The 87's have a seperate master, line and slave cylinder. When my clutch failed it was the rubber hose, too many years next to the exhaust manifold apparently. I replaced the hose, the one for the AX-15 is different than the one for the puegot. The puegot line is a bit longer, it will work with the AX-15. Mine still had the original hose, the one I got for my AX-15 was shorter, and had a u shaped bend to the metal line.
Anyway, since the fluid had leaked out and I pushed the master down I ruined the master. CHeck the whole system for leaks, if you've got none then I would try the master first, simply because it's cheap, and you can do it without taking the trans out.

i think it just nees a proper bleeding cuz i removed the cap topped ot off and pumped the pedal, i could hear all the bubbles escaping and now it shifts real smooth

DansGreyMj said:
its real hard to shift and sometimes when its in first and ive got the pedal to the floor it tries to dive itself do i need a new clutch

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully releasing, or the pilot bearing is going.

DansGreyMj said:
i think it just nees a proper bleeding cuz i removed the cap topped ot off and pumped the pedal, i could hear all the bubbles escaping and now it shifts real smooth
that's the same thing I got when my master failed after I bled the new hose. Don't be surprised if it stops working again in the next few days.

everybodys always raggin on the peugot. my 86 xj with the peugot is shifting better than my 93s ax15. and beat the crap outta the 86. i suppose maybe it will break when i lincoln lock the axles.

I think I can go on experience with the Peugeot - I've been through three in my 88 in the last four years. I've changed gearboxes more than I've changed clutches - which is silly.

Having torn a few apart for scrap metal, I can also attest that they just aren't something that should be used in a truck. They were designed for a vehicle with half the engine, about a third the power, and probably 500-800# lighter. Recipe for destruction...

I'm a fairly "spirited" driver, but I've been babying the Peugeot, and shall continue to do so until I finall get the AX15 I just got swapped in... Damn thing just isn't built for a truck - frankly, I'd be a lot happier with a Muncie top-loader, if I could bolt one up easily.

5-90

Anyone need a Peugeot, I've got one for cheep. 1st to second shift a little slow when cold, otherwise in good condition.

Back