• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any probs runnin auto lockers and the 242 tcase?

condoor

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a '00 XJ and it has the 242 tcase. I want to run either a detroit or an aussie in the rear but had someone tell me that the 242 tcase wouldn't like that. I'm assuming they meant the 'fulltime' 4wd option as the other options are like a 231. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I will be running 31s, and potentially up to 33s eventually.

thx
-c

Locking the rear shouldn't cause any problems with the full-time mode (operating in it's intended environment...semi-slippery road surfaces), but locking the front probably would.

i too have a 242 case and am wondering why a front locker would cause problems with the t case?...currently locked in the rear with 31's...interested for future mods......thanks

I don't think the t-case would have any problem with being locked front & rear (in the full-time mode, it uses a center differential to allow some slip front to rear)

I DO think there would be some peculiar handling coming out of a locked & powered front axle (auto lockers default to being locked, and when there is power going to them, they tend to stay locked) when in 4WD in either mode. Peculiar meaning unpredictable & hard to steer + lots of understeer.

I am open F & Limited-slip R, and like my 242 in full-time for the rare ice or light snow we see. It's also nice to use in heavy rain. Locking the rear wouldn't affect that capability much, but locking the front would.

The solutions are few:
Install a limited-slip -True Trac- front (and give up being 'locked')
Install a locker front (and give up the utility of the full-time mode)
Install a locker front into a disco axle, (to make it "open"/locked - cheap selectable)
Install a real selectable locker of ones choice (chose one with limited slip & locked or open & locked)
Do nothing (keeps full time mode and is wallet friendly)

The bucks-up solution is a pair of selectable lockers... it's one of the cases where 'good' & 'cheap' don't cross paths.

the full-time system relys on an open front diff as well as the t-case clutch to allow for the binding of driving on pavement.. removing one of them will definately affect the way it works.. i read alot on this topic a while back and decided not to do it.. will it "hurt" anything? i cant say. but when the t-case MFG and the locker MFG both tell you not to do it it tells me it could be expensive if it does cause problems.

sidriptide said:
the full-time system relys on an open front diff as well as the t-case clutch to allow for the binding of driving on pavement.. removing one of them will definately affect the way it works.. i read alot on this topic a while back and decided not to do it.. will it "hurt" anything? i cant say. but when the t-case MFG and the locker MFG both tell you not to do it it tells me it could be expensive if it does cause problems.

I just wanted to clarify that I would only be putting the auto locker in the rear - I'll do an ARB in the front. So if what you say above is true, then putting one in the rear should be okay?

IntrepidXJ said:
it won't hurt anything....but you will lose the benefit of running full-time on pavement

Just to clarify - I'd lose the full-time option on the t-case if I run a detroit in the rear? The front will still be open.

Locking the rear with a np242 won't cause any problems - been there did it, it handles great on slick pavement in fulltime. No binding issues with the front left open.

3XJFamily said:
Locking the rear with a np242 won't cause any problems - been there did it, it handles great on slick pavement in fulltime. No binding issues with the front left open.

thx!

I have Lock Rights front and rear with the 242 case. In everyday driving, it handles exactly like every other locked rig. I rarely use the full time mode, but when I do, it is in the snow or gravel or a combination of the two.

Back