• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie, sorry... ...starting issue??

Hoof Hearted

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, sorry for newbie question...

First off this is the first XJ I've owned: 1997 XJ Country with stock 4.0L, auto, 125K miles & 31" BFGs.

A little history: I've owned several Early Broncos and currently wheel a 1971 Blazer with 1-ton gear & 42" TSLs.

Issue: I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap & rotor but when I try to start the motor, it will crank over fine but will not fire... ...but if let off the starter and then try to crank it again, it will fire up pronto.

What do you think? fuel pump? fuel filter? injectors?

Thanks for your suggestions!

...starting issue??

See if you can get the codes read. Autozone, Dealer, what have you. That will give you the best direction to start.

first thought. CPS
WHen you crank see if you get spark. If you get no spark then I would really suspect the CPS. Without a proper CPS signal the ECU will not turn on the coil and fire the motor, it's how it set's it's timing.

Where and how do you change out the cps?

YUP I'll bet CPS too. Look for the connector and reseat it as well. Many times that alone can fix it. It's near the firewall on the intake manifold side.

ZachMan said:
Where and how do you change out the cps?

1110 posts and you don't know what or where the CPS is?? (Crankshaft Position Sensor)

It is such an important item and failure prone enough to keep a spare in the glove box.

Rocketman said:
YUP I'll bet CPS too. Look for the connector and reseat it as well. Many times that alone can fix it. It's near the firewall on the intake manifold side.
This is also a good tip, I failed to mention it.
The CPS generates such low current that the slightest bit of corrosion in it's connector can cause it to act funny.

Rocketman said:
1110 posts and you don't know what or where the CPS is?? (Crankshaft Position Sensor)

It is such an important item and failure prone enough to keep a spare in the glove box.

What post got to do with anything?

Try I've owned 3 XJs and never had one with over 78k miles and never a problem. So its hard to know where stuff is if I've never had an issue or needed to replace it and if I type in "cps" it doesn't find anything on the search.

search "crank position"
in order to change it you'll need a bunch of extensions and some u-joints. It's on the bellhousing, drivers side, about 11 o'clock

Back