• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another fuel mileage thread. related to high altitude.

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i made a road trip from New England to Moab Utah a month ago, (had agreat time but thats in another thread) with the fuel prices like they are i was obsessing over my estimated fuel mileage during the trip. i was actually suprised that my over-all average was higher than i expected. around town here i get about 12 mpg, and hioghway i get a solid 16 mpg. during the trip i averaged around 18 mpg thru the midwest plains but what i dont understand is that the leg from Grand Junction to Denver Co, thru the 10K+ altitude passes with foot-on-the-floor-engine-wheezing-30 mph, i averaged OVER 20 MPG!!!!
WTF?? i expected the total opposite. wide open throttle, lack of oxygen, it wouldnt rev at all.
is it that the higher altitude is interpretted by the RENIX system to be less demand for fuel? all this on E85 fuel!

90 XJ, 6", 33s, 4.56s, AX-15, roughly 2800 RPM at 75 mph..

Back