• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans cooler removal

southernoregonxjer

NAXJA Forum User
my 01 xj has the factory trans cooler. I just bought an after market one....just wondering if i should remove the factory one or have both factory and aftermarket?

trans002.jpg

If you have the factory unit, why did you buy the aftermarket? Or did you not know you had the factory unit?

A two-pass cooler (like OEM) should be sufficient for most applications, you won't be towing five tons often enough to be a problem, and the AW4 is a fairly tolerant slushbox anyhow. If you're dead set on installing the aftermarket unit, then I would go ahead and disconnect the OEMR and pull it out, and install the aftermarket unit in its place.

Then, let me know you've done it - because I'd happily pay shipping for a small cooler like that to use around here somewhere. I haven't decided yet, but it would either be a transmission cooler on her commuter (if I don't decide on something else,) or either a power steering cooler or an axle cooler for me (if I feel the need.)

5-90

Back