• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine oil disappearing

bigsliks

NAXJA Forum User
My oil seems to be getting lower but the truck does not leak any from looking at my driveway and the bottom of the truck and it doesn't seem to be burning it there's no smoke when driving, and it's not in the antifreeze, because I changed the water pump and have drained the rad. I did an oil change and checked the level every day.

From full to add in 3 days!!

where could it be going?

thanks

Got any long down hills in your daily commute? I go up and down a several mile long grade daily. Its amazing watching the cars spew massive amounts of smoke out the exhaust after a 3 mile coast downhill doin 70 mph. The extreme vacume created by the worn valve guides allows oil to be sucked into the cylinders when the throttle plate is closed. When you get back on the go pedal it all burns off in blaze of smoke. It dosent even seem the drivers see the cloud. You might be surprised at what you dont see comming out the tail pipe if its burning oil.

I guess it could be burning and I just don't see it, that's probably the only answer. I don't have any big hills like that.

thanks

is the hatch covered in oil deposits?
It may also be a rear main that leaks only when the engine is running, or a loose valvecover gasket that's the same. Degrease the engine, then drive it for a few miles and look around.

clogged CCV system can force oil out while crusing too. Had one oil sender that only puked oil when revved for a bit. Drove me nuts thinking it was the rear main seal (after changing it for the second time, the sender blew apart at highway speed and nearly seized my engine!)

My toyota did this exact same thing recently... turns out that most of the oil was getting into one of the cylinders. One cylinder using oil may not produce much smoke. Pull your sparkplugs and see if any of them are badly fouled. If any of them are nasty, then you may have found your oil.

Check the oil filter adapter. Mine was going through oil quickly between changes. Yes the rear main is prone to leaking due to being a two piece design, but the filter adapter was also leaking, and now I am not losing but a half a quart between changes. Hope that helps

Jeff

I had exactly that condition. Suddenly Oil level started to drop quickly. (Would smoke a bit at idle after a long run too) Spark plugs were getting dirty too.

The valve stem seals were bad! (4.0 is a hot running engine).

Not too difficult for a Saturday. You need a valve spring compressor. You work on 2 cil at a time, with those pistons in top and stuff some rope in through spark plug hole to avoid valve dropping.

Back