• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is My Axle Bearing Still OK To Use?

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
I was putting new bearings on my rear D44 axle shaft. While pressing the new bearing down, it suddenly hopped down and the outer ring of the bearing popped off. I can easily slide it back down back over the bearing but it won't stay there. But once I install in into the axle tube, the retaining plate should squeeze everything together nice and tight. Is this OK/safe? Or should I strip it all back down, get new bearings and that collar?

Thanks.

Oh, and either way I go, do I need to lube the bearings before I install? Thanks.

are you talking about the bearing race???

it sounds like your bearing and bearing race might have been stuck together and when you tried to press it on, the race came off. in that case it's normal, cuz they're actually 2 seperate pieces.

here is a picture of a bearing and race....
bearing_race_display.jpg

It should be fine to use. Yes, the bearing retainer plate holds everything tight.

Generally, the bearings have some lube on them to start with, but I always add some more high-temp bearing grease. Any excess will simply get pushed out (or if your setup doesn't have an inner seal, get washed out by the gear oil)

scorpio_vette said:
are you talking about the bearing race???

it sounds like your bearing and bearing race might have been stuck together and when you tried to press it on, the race came off. in that case it's normal, cuz they're actually 2 seperate pieces.

here is a picture of a bearing and race....
bearing_race_display.jpg
aaaaaaah. yup. that's the piece that i was talking about. sweet. thanks

lawsoncl said:
It should be fine to use. Yes, the bearing retainer plate holds everything tight.

Generally, the bearings have some lube on them to start with, but I always add some more high-temp bearing grease. Any excess will simply get pushed out (or if your setup doesn't have an inner seal, get washed out by the gear oil)
also, thanks for that info!

When I recently replaced the wheel bearings for my D44, I purchased Part# SET10 Timken from Autozone. The new bearings didn't seem to have a seperate race, they were all one unit. Is this correct, or were they simply "stuck" together? I didn't try to remove them too hard from eachother.

Was this the same part number that you used? Timken SET10

waxer said:
When I recently replaced the wheel bearings for my D44, I purchased Part# SET10 Timken from Autozone. The new bearings didn't seem to have a seperate race, they were all one unit. Is this correct, or were they simply "stuck" together? I didn't try to remove them too hard from eachother.

Was this the same part number that you used? Timken SET10

If you actually got Timken #SET-10 then yes they are Tapered Roller Bearings and have a seperate Race. If you got a G-10 (Several mfg's make a G-10) that crosses to a SET-10 partnumber, it is a unit bearing with non tapered roller bearings and an integral Race.

DaffyXJ said:
If you actually got Timken #SET-10 then yes they are Tapered Roller Bearings and have a seperate Race. If you got a G-10 (Several mfg's make a G-10) that crosses to a SET-10 partnumber, it is a unit bearing with non tapered roller bearings and an integral Race.

Thats weird cause I got a Timken SET10 and it has the integral race.

waxer said:
Thats weird cause I got a Timken SET10 and it has the integral race.

Actually, I was able to tap off the race without any problem. It was just stuck with the grease. The collar on the back of the bearing is what confuses me. Should this collar be removed? I was able to tap off the collar without any effort.

Heres a picture.

race_collar.jpg

Picture with the race removed and the collar tapped off (hanging below)
IMG_0485.sized.jpg

Another pic with the race installed and collar tapped off (hanging below)
IMG_0487.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Most D44 rear taper bearings are a one piece unit that has a score line around the outter race, and the bearing will split there the first time it is removed from the housing. This is normal and still usable if it happens to pop off before assembly into the housing. simply install the outter race before the axle. The 'collar' should snap back into the cage with fair ease.

Back