• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove NP231 from AW4??

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
Anybody know of a description for removing the NP231 from an AW4 in the XJ. I split the cases to replace the chain but it really needs rebuilding so now I want to pull the front half out also. I looked and I guess I can figure it out but if someone can save me the learning curve I'd sure appreciate the help.

I must be really blind. I am looking under the car and I don't see but maybe one bolt. There is a steel bracket that surrounds the transmission at its rear. Am I just missing the obvious somehow?? Does the crossmember need to be dropped to see the nuts and studs??

You need to drop the crossmember and remove that bracket, then lower the tranny down enough to see the two nuts on top. There is a total of 6 like was mentioned before and I believe a 9/16 will get them all, some are just hard to get your wrench on w/o lowering the tranny/transfercase combo.

OK crossmember is out. Next step attack bolts, boy is it messy as in oilly under there. Next task after this is going to need to be oil pan gasket and rear seal!!

WOW, this thing is NASTY!! There is a 1/4 inch steel bracket wrapped around the trans and it is bolted under the nuts that hold the T/C to the trans with very small access slots for a wrentch. No air tools here. I'm not sure what year the guys who said this is easy have but my 95 is a b***h!

I used a half moon wrench. Worked for me but, i was on a lift too.

I had to torch up an old 9/16" wrench and bend it in half to get to the very top bolt. The hardest part of that job is sliding the t-case off and then back on. It's a heavy sumbitch.

I have a trans jack from doing my 69 CJ, I am hoping that will work. The hardest part for me was the lower pass side bolt. Some muffler shop had welded up the rubber mount in such a way that I had to just pull the plate down which gave me about a sixteenth of a turn between the case and that plate. I got the top one OK with a short box but there is an inspection plate in the floor right above it that looks like it would give good access if you wanted to tear up the inside -- I didn't :=}}
Now it is out and I'm waiting for the rebuild kit.

I just pulled and re-installed my 231 (for the 4th time) in about 45 minutes total under the car time. The trick is to use a floor jack and raise and lower the transmission/T-case as necessary inorder to gain access to the nuts/studs. It's really not that bad.

Back