• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Disco Axles w/260's or non Disco w/297's

Which D30 axle shafts to run with locker and 33's.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I am just about to install a lock rite in the front of my D30 disco axle. I currently have the stock shafts in there with new u-joints, bearings, seals, etc. I picked up some used non disco axle shafts with the larger 297 joints on them which I intended to put in to replace the disco axles that I already have. But something occured to me. Maybe it would be better for me to use the larger jointed axles as spares instead of the stock shafts as spares?
Advantages and Disadvantages as I see them:
Disco shafts I can run un locked for turning or when I do not need the front locker.
If Disco shafts break it would most likely be at the joint so I can pull them and put the other shafts in on the trail as long as I have the new seal, right?
non Disco shafts are less likely to break.

Thoughts?
All comments appreciated.
Michael

You can get '95 YJ D30 shafts for the best of both worlds... disco and 297 joints.

I ran my disco shaft's untill I broke the intermediate(middle) axle. The left axle is obviously a straight replacement. On the right side your new 297 shaft goes all the way to the pumpkin, while the disco right outer is short.

The seal you need on the right side, sells at Rusty's for about $7 and is installed from inside the carrier.

Lawn Cher' said:
You can get '95 YJ D30 shafts for the best of both worlds... disco and 297 joints.
x2, this is what I was going to do until I swapped axles.
Also planned on a cable actuated disconnect, for 2Low

87manche said:
x2, this is what I was going to do until I swapped axles.
Also planned on a cable actuated disconnect, for 2Low

That's the route I am going when I rebuild my D30.

I was aware of the YJ shafts and had considered them in the past but thought the the center shaft then became a week point?

If I keep the current 260 disco shafts in for now I will do the mechanical 2low cable.

Is the disco 297 shafts any more or less difficult to replace on the trail than the 297 strait shafts?

Thanks,
Michael

the way I see it you still have to deal with getting a shaft out of a tube. The only downside I see is that the splined collar on the disco side may be a pain to get around.

2xtreme said:
I was aware of the YJ shafts and had considered them in the past but thought the the center shaft then became a week point?

If I keep the current 260 disco shafts in for now I will do the mechanical 2low cable.

Is the disco 297 shafts any more or less difficult to replace on the trail than the 297 strait shafts?

Thanks,
Michael

If the intermediate shaft breaks, then it can become a real pain to change it out. I'd think worse than a straight shaft, unless the straight shaft breaks off inside the carrier

Ok, So I will put the 297 shafts I have in.

If I was to get the YJ 297 shafts is there any concern over the weakness of the center shaft and replacing it on the trail?

Michael

Take weld the u-joint caps for even more durability. :)

Back