• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 ABS brake removal ... pre-searched

djthomas22

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've already searched (read for about 2 hours) and MOST of the stuff I've seen is for the older ABS system. I read that mine, 1993, isn't the same.

So, I bought a 1993 Cherokee with ABS, only thing is, the front ABS wires are messed up. The drivers side has been cut completely off where it goes through the fender. The passengers side sensor and wires are still there but are coiled up and zip tied inside the fender. sensors seem to be ok. I really don't want ABS as this will be a mostly trail rig. The brakes seem to be working fine just no ABS and the ABS light is on inside the Jeep. I've read that it's really a pain to remove the ABS from the older system but how is it for my 93? Should I just remove the light bulb for ABS and forget about it or can the ABS system be easily removed?

Any safety issue with the way it's running right now?

Just remove the bulb from the abs indicator light, when your abs faults out, your braking system just revert back to a regular system. Its much easier to pull the bulb or the relay in the PDC.

don't worry about it. The older systems were a problem because of the brake design with the pump and accumulator. If I recall correctly you still have a master cylinder. You should be fine.

I'd like to take the whole system out if I can. Just to clear out the engine bay some. Is it possible without buying parts to replace things like rotors or whatever else?

Just pull the fusable link in the black fuse box on the passenger side firewall. System disabled. easier than taking the dash apart to get to the dash bulb.

aplatz said:
Just pull the fusable link in the black fuse box on the passenger side firewall. System disabled. easier than taking the dash apart to get to the dash bulb.

Cool, I'll do that for the time being. Thanks.

So, back to the real quetion, how hard is it to pull the whole system out?

Just getting to it is probably the hardest part. Look at a wiring diagram first before you pull it. Make darn sure you know what it is you're pulling.

djthomas22 said:
Cool, I'll do that for the time being. Thanks.

So, back to the real quetion, how hard is it to pull the whole system out?
WAY more of a PITA than it's worth. As it sits now, you have what you want, no ABS. Just cover up the light and be done with it.

To remove it, you'll need to route all new hydroulic lines from the master cylinder. I don't know if you'll need a new master cylinder or not though.

Back