• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle recommendations and springwrap?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

Did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for.....also might have been a little lazy since I only felt like looking through 4 pages of threads. Anyway, I have an RE lift and the driver's side is sagging a bit more than the pass. side. (almost 3/4") I was thinking of simply adding an extended shackle on that side to even it out. Any problem in doing that? I already have the RE 1.25" extended shackles on it now so does anyone know a manufacturer who makes a 1.75" or even a 2" shackle that is good quality(in the future I will be mounting a spare tire so if it makes it a little higher it will probably even back out when the spare is mounted on that side)? One more thing, I can't remember but I thought I read somewhere that the cherokee derives most of it's power from the driver's side which cause spring-wrap and can cause springs to sag on that side since that is the main power output side, is this true?

thanks

I wouldn't do that. If your springs are old and worn-out, replace them. If they are new and sagging, warrantee them with the manufacturer. If the springs on one side are worn, adding a longer shackle will likely increase the fatigue on that spring and wear it out even more... and who knows what it would do to the handling characteristics.

The springs are not worn out but they are not new either. I have had the lift for a little over 2 years and have wheeled it maybe a dozen times in that period....which were only 2-track trails, some dunes. I think the driver's side just happened to "settle" more than the other side. Still not recommended to add the shackle?

switch the leafs from side to side. The right side will sag over time due to torque of the rear end (or so Goatman claims is the cause). Switch the springs and it will level out again in a while.

On my last set of springs, after they got to be unlevel, i took the pack apart and switched every other leaf between the packs. That leveled them back out for another six months or so before I replaced them.

Cal, forgot to ask, by right side do you mean pass. side (looking at the XJ from the rear)? If that's the case, switching springs from side to side would make it worse since I am already sagging on the driver's side which is not the torque producing side according to goatman

2001XJ said:
Cal, forgot to ask, by right side do you mean pass. side (looking at the XJ from the rear)? If that's the case, switching springs from side to side would make it worse since I am already sagging on the driver's side which is not the torque producing side according to goatman

Yes, thats what I meant. Interestingly, My jeep sags to the driverside too.. I didnt say that so not to confuse the issue. ;) ..but i have a 35" tire hanging off the rear bumper directly behind the driver. Swap the springs and see what happens.. if that doesnt help, buy some new center pins and re-build the pack switching leafs between them. If you need more info on that, PM me and I'll do some kind of a writeup with pictures if i cant find one. I have a spare set of leafpacks i'm about to tear apart anyways.

-C

Cal, that would be cool. PM'D you

I'm pretty sure it's the left that sags. It's not the torque from the motor. It's the torque from the rear end. Locked jeeps get it worse.

Back