• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone w/ 4.56's, 5 speed and 33's

bigwillxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning to regear here soon and cannot decided wether to go 4.10's or 4.56's with my 5 speed. Its a daily driver and will deffinatly need to be able to do 70 w/ the motor turning rediculous rpms. any thoughts?

I run 4.10s with 33s and wish I had more gear. I don't get off road much so I am basing it on road manners. After driving with 4.10 and 31s I wish I had 4.56 with my 33s. Yes I have the 5 speed. There are times in 5th gear that I have to down shift to gain momentum. 4.56s would help with that. If I were to do it again I would use 4.56 with 33s.

BA

I run 4.56's and a 5-speed and 33's. The RPM's are not a problem on the high way.

4.0L, AX15 5speed, 4.56's w/33".......it's pretty much perfect....the RPM's are about 200ish (don't remember exactly) higher than the factory setup was.....it's perfect for the street with a tiny little more pep since the rpm is a touch higher, and it's nice offroad too....... this is on our Daily Driver with lots of 60-80mph highway speed.

do it you won't regret it.

scorpio_vette said:
4.0L, AX15 5speed, 4.56's w/33".......it's pretty much perfect....the RPM's are about 200ish (don't remember exactly) higher than the factory setup was.....it's perfect for the street with a tiny little more pep since the rpm is a touch higher, and it's nice offroad too....... this is on our Daily Driver with lots of 60-80mph highway speed.

do it you won't regret it.

What he said.
I ran that setup for four and a half years putting almost 100,000 miles on my XJ. Very nice setup.

Have any of you had experience w/ 31s or 32s w/ 4.56s? I'm on new 31 trxus's right now and won't be going to 33s for till they wear out. What highway revs were you spinning with the combos? thanx.

i have 4.88's with 33's
havent been on the freeway yet but they are awesome!!

I have a 5spd. I've run 31s with 3.07s and 4.10s. And 33s with 4.10s and 4.56s.

33s with 4.10s are not a good combo, you really want deeper gears. If you're regearing with 33s and a 5spd, definitely get the 4.56s or deeper. You won't be turning rediculous RPMs with 4.56s.

As a further datapoint, my XJ had a hard time pulling a pop-up out to Moab with 33s and 4.10s. It pulls MUCH better with the 4.56s.

zacattack said:
Have any of you had experience w/ 31s or 32s w/ 4.56s? I'm on new 31 trxus's right now and won't be going to 33s for till they wear out. What highway revs were you spinning with the combos? thanx.

I run 32's with 4.56 gearing. At 65 mph I'm turning about 2650 rpms. I do have a 5 spd though.

I'm quite happy with my set up, and it makes a great daily driver / trail rig...

That's gonna depend on a few things, not the least of which is whether you've got a D35 or an 8.25 rear axle. IIRC, 4.88s aren't available for an 8.25.

it's been said before, and I will state it yet again...

4.56's w/ 33's is a good combo.
go for it!

nickangus said:
are 4.56s better w/ 33's or sould i get 4.88s?

Personally, id go with 4.88's if you have the rear end to support it(D44 or better). I run 4.88s with 33's on my XJ and it runs just fine on the highway. At 70 MPH, its turning about 2900 or so RPM....its hummin along pretty good but far from screamin. Around town its great...off-road its FANTASTIC!! I had actually considered 5.13's but that would really kill my highway speed and mileage.

Back